Wheat beer steak sauce & marinade
Cold, Hard Football Facts for Jul 29, 2005
Lucy Saunders is America's foremost authority on cooking with beer. She's written numerous books, runs the Web site www.beercook.com and was cool enough to share several of her recipes with us, including this one and another for her seafood marinade.
This is a spicy marinade made with dunkel weiss (dark German wheat beer) that serves two purposes: it's a marinade for steak and pork and a gravy-like sauce that she serves as an accompaniment to pork chops, grilled turkey breast or steak.
Make the marinade the day before the game and use half of it to flavor the meat overnight. Bring the remainder of the marinade with you and heat up into sauce on gameday, following Saunders' directions below.
Makes about 2 cups
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or more to taste
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 12 ounces dunkel weiss or black wheat ale
Additional ingredients or sauce:
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch mixed with 1 Tablespoon water
- 1 ripe jalapeno, minced
Toast fennel, mustard and celery seeds in a heavy skillet over medium heat until mustard seeds start to pop. Remove from heat and scrape into blender. Add all remaining marinade ingredients. Cover container and blend on high until emulsified.
Divide marinade. Use half as a marinade for pork tenderloin or steak. On gameday, place remainder (about 1 cup) in a small saucepan and add the cornstarch and water mixture. Whisk well and simmer until thickened. Add minced jalapeno to sauce, if desired. Serve sauce at the tailgate with grilled steak, pork chops or grilled turkey breast.
From our partners
Forearm Shiver: the CHFF Blog
- Super Bowl XLIX Favorites: NFC Likely To Be Super Again In 2014
- Super Bowl XLVIII Most Watched Program In U.S. History
- Super Bowl XLVIII Postgame Stat-Palooza
- CHFF Classic: Russell Wilson NFL's Best Young QB
- Super Bowl XLVIII: Broncos-Seahawks The Statistically Perfect Super Bowl
- Prop-A-Palooza II: Hundreds More Super Bowl XLVIII Prop Bets
- Live From Media Day: Could Seattle D Stop Russell Wilson
- Seattle Seahawks Brash Legion of Boom Proves Real Statistical Deal
- AFC Champion Denver Broncos Betting Season in Review
- NFC Champion Seattle Seahawks Betting Season in Review
Must See Videos