Wheat beer steak sauce & marinade
Cold, Hard Football Facts for Jul 29, 2005
Lucy Saunders is America's foremost authority on cooking with beer. She's written numerous books, runs the Web site www.beercook.com and was cool enough to share several of her recipes with us, including this one and another for her seafood marinade.
This is a spicy marinade made with dunkel weiss (dark German wheat beer) that serves two purposes: it's a marinade for steak and pork and a gravy-like sauce that she serves as an accompaniment to pork chops, grilled turkey breast or steak.
Make the marinade the day before the game and use half of it to flavor the meat overnight. Bring the remainder of the marinade with you and heat up into sauce on gameday, following Saunders' directions below.
Makes about 2 cups
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or more to taste
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 12 ounces dunkel weiss or black wheat ale
Additional ingredients or sauce:
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch mixed with 1 Tablespoon water
- 1 ripe jalapeno, minced
Toast fennel, mustard and celery seeds in a heavy skillet over medium heat until mustard seeds start to pop. Remove from heat and scrape into blender. Add all remaining marinade ingredients. Cover container and blend on high until emulsified.
Divide marinade. Use half as a marinade for pork tenderloin or steak. On gameday, place remainder (about 1 cup) in a small saucepan and add the cornstarch and water mixture. Whisk well and simmer until thickened. Add minced jalapeno to sauce, if desired. Serve sauce at the tailgate with grilled steak, pork chops or grilled turkey breast.
Forearm Shiver: the CHFF Blog
- Hockey Announcer Gone Wild: You Want To Party (Maybe) With This Guy
- Best Pass Defense Ever: Ronde Barber And The 2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Reese Witherspoon Arrest Video: Hot, Bothered And Handcuffed
- Sam Adams In A Can, Just In Time For Summer Drinking Season
- Live From Radio City: Reporter Punks NFL Draft Fans
- The 5.0 Club: Best Rushing Teams in NFL History
- Sieves: The Worst Run Defenses In NFL History
- Monsters of the Midway: We Need The Chicago Bears More Than Ever
- Boston, Sports, Patriotism And Terror
- The 100 Stingiest Defenses In Football History
- NFL Crown Rule: Will It Dethrone Rushing King Adrian Peterson?
- Year Of The Offensive Tackle: Not Always The 'Safe' Draft Bet
- Draft Habits: NFL Teams Covet LBs, Duped By False Temptress WRs
- Big Tease: 2012 New England Patriots And NFL's History Of Offensive Failures
- Epic Fail: The Wide Receiver Draft Class Of 2012
Must See Videos