Quality Stats Power Rankings: We Size Up The Final 8
By Brandon Burnett (@B_Burnett49er)
Cold Hard Football Facts' Power Ranger
Were you a bit surprised that the Seattle Seahawks, once seemingly incapable of winning meaningful road games, went into Washington and slaughtered the Hogs in the wildcard round?
You see, the Quality Stats Power Rankings here at Cold, Hard Football Facts rarely steer us wrong. In fact, just as is the case this season, they're often deadly accurate. How accurate you ask? Well, let's take a quick look.
First, remember that our Power Rankings are not your normal power rankings in that they are not based on opinion whatsoever. The CHFF rankings place each NFL team from No. 1 to No. 32 based upon their average ranking across the board in each of our Quality Stats, each of which has a direct correlation to winning football games.
Now, take a quick look and you'll notice each of the Top 7 teams in our Power Rankings remain in the hunt for Super Bowl glory. Only the Baltimore Ravens (No. 11) sit outside the Top 8. In the wildcard round, all four of the higher-ranked teams defeated their lower-ranked counterparts.
It's no coincidence.
The Seahawks (No. 1) knocked off the Redskins (No. 7) with relative ease, and did so on the road. The Packers (No. 3) made quick work of the Vikings (No. 16) at Lambeau Field Saturday night. The Texans (No. 7) disposed of the Bengals (No. 9) and Baltimore (No. 11) put a hurtin' on Indy (No. 25).
That's good news this week for Seattle, Green Bay, Denver and New England, each of whom face lower-ranked teams in the divisional round.
The NFL is an unpredictable world, but our Quality Stats Power Rankings seem to have it all figured out.
- Hockey Announcer Gone Wild: You Want To Party (Maybe) With This Guy
- Best Pass Defense Ever: Ronde Barber And The 2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Reese Witherspoon Arrest Video: Hot, Bothered And Handcuffed
- Sam Adams In A Can, Just In Time For Summer Drinking Season
- Live From Radio City: Reporter Punks NFL Draft Fans
- The 5.0 Club: Best Rushing Teams in NFL History
- Sieves: The Worst Run Defenses In NFL History
- Monsters of the Midway: We Need The Chicago Bears More Than Ever
- Boston, Sports, Patriotism And Terror
- The 100 Stingiest Defenses In Football History
- NFL Crown Rule: Will It Dethrone Rushing King Adrian Peterson?
- Year Of The Offensive Tackle: Not Always The 'Safe' Draft Bet
- Draft Habits: NFL Teams Covet LBs, Duped By False Temptress WRs
- Big Tease: 2012 New England Patriots And NFL's History Of Offensive Failures
- Epic Fail: The Wide Receiver Draft Class Of 2012