NFL 2013 TV By The Numbers: Reached 70% Of Potential U.S. Viewers
NFL 2013 TV RECAP
205 MILLION FANS TUNED IN
34 of 35 MOST-WATCHED SHOWS THIS FALL
SECOND CONSECUTIVE YEAR: NFL GAME TV’S MOST WATCHED SHOW ALL 17 WEEKS
NFL GAME VIEWERSHIP NEARLY TRIPLES BROADCAST PRIMETIME
RECORD SEASON FOR NFL NETWORK
Football fans tuned into the 2013 NFL season in BIG numbers. According to The Nielsen Company, the 2013 regular season reached 205 million unique viewers, representing 81 percent of all television homes and 70 percent of potential viewers in the U.S.
The 2013 NFL Regular Season averaged 17.6 million viewers per game telecast, the second most-watched season ever behind the 2010 season (17.9 million).
NFL games accounted for 34 of the 35 most-watched TV shows among all programming last fall (chart below).
Twenty-two NFL game telecasts this season were watched by at least 25 million viewers – nearly triple the total for the full 2012 season (eight).
For the second consecutive year, an NFL game was the week’s most-watched TV show in all 17 weeks of the season.
NFL games nearly tripled broadcast primetime viewership. NFL games on CBS, FOX and NBC averaged 20.3 million viewers – 190 percent higher than the average primetime viewership among the four major over-the-air networks (7.0 million average on ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC). That NFL advantage is more than triple the 56 percent edge of a decade ago (chart below).
Over the past decade, average viewership of NFL games on broadcast television has increased 31% from 15.5 million in 2003 to 20.3 million in 2013.
More 2013 NFL TV highlights:
- NBC Sunday Night Football ranked as the most-watched primetime program for the fourth consecutive fall season averaging 21.7million viewers. The Week 17SNF game (Eagles-Cowboys) was the most-watched primetime game of the season with an average of 27.4 million viewers. For the past two years, Sunday Night Football ranked as the most watched television show for the full fall-spring TV season, becoming the first sports series to ever hold that position.
- FOX had its most-viewed season ever with an average of 21.1 million viewers per game.
- CBS’ Thanksgiving Day Game (Oakland Raiders-Dallas Cowboys) was the most-watched show of the fall season with 31.7 million viewers. 2013 was CBS’ second most-watched season ever with an average of 18.6 million viewers.
- NFL games accounted for 46 of the 50 most-watched telecasts (since Sept. 5) among adults aged 18-49 – with CBS, FOX, ESPN and NBC each represented on that list.
- ESPN’s Monday Night Football was the most-watched series on cable for the eighth consecutive year with an average of 13.7 million viewers.
- NFL Network wrapped up its eighth season of Thursday Night Football with a record average of 8.1 million viewers (including the audience from over-the-air stations in local markets) and ranked as the most-watched Thursday program on cable last fall.
- NFL Network’s average weekday primetime viewership jumped eight percent from a record 2012.
NFL VS. PRIMETIME VIEWERSHIP ON BROADCAST TV
2003 Avg. Viewers
2004 Avg. Viewers
2005 Avg. Viewers
2006 Avg. Viewers
2007 Avg. Viewers
2008 Avg. Viewers
2009 Avg. Viewers
2010 Avg. Viewers
2011 Avg. Viewers
2012 Avg. Viewers
2013 Avg. Viewers
Source: NFL & The Nielsen Company. NFL regular season on Broadcast television
(CBS, FOX & NBC…ABC prior to 2006). Broadcast primetime on BIG 4 networks (ABC, CBS, NBC & FOX) all programs, NFL regular season dates used.
For the season, NFL games rank as 34 of the top 35 most-watched TV shows since Labor Day. Following are the most-watched programs this fall:
- Super Bowl XLIX Favorites: NFC Likely To Be Super Again In 2014
- Super Bowl XLVIII Most Watched Program In U.S. History
- Super Bowl XLVIII Postgame Stat-Palooza
- CHFF Classic: Russell Wilson NFL's Best Young QB
- Super Bowl XLVIII: Broncos-Seahawks The Statistically Perfect Super Bowl
- Prop-A-Palooza II: Hundreds More Super Bowl XLVIII Prop Bets
- Live From Media Day: Could Seattle D Stop Russell Wilson
- Seattle Seahawks Brash Legion of Boom Proves Real Statistical Deal
- AFC Champion Denver Broncos Betting Season in Review
- NFC Champion Seattle Seahawks Betting Season in Review