Kubiak Face: Memorize It While You Still Can
By Jonathan Comey
Cold, Hard Football Facts Texanista (@colonelcomey)
When a game as bad as the one the Houston Texans played Sunday is completely indicative of the season at large, it's safe to say heads are going to roll.
It's hard to believe that the solid-in-another-life Texans would turn in a series of games like this one from Sunday:
- 420-216 yards advantage
- 153 yards rushing
- 27-15 first-down edge
- Solid 42 percent on third downs
- Final result: 25-point loss.
To the St. Louis Rams.
And it wasn't even that close.
We've never been big fans of Gary Kubiak, who always sports the pained "Kubiak face" when his Texans s--- themselves in the biggest moments.
And Sunday, they did it again.
How will Kubiak survive this latest meltdown? He won't.
Like Andy Reid in Philadelphia last year, when veteran coaches suddenly find their teams at the bottom of our "Intelligence Index," they eventually wind up out of work.
The Texans have the best defensive player in football (J.J. Watt), the best-balanced offense in the league over the past 3-4 years, a lot of wins ... and absolutely nothing to show for it.
And now, at 2-4, looking way up at the going-the-other-direction Colts in the AFC South, there's little reason to believe Houston fans will take anything less than a cleaned house -- Kubiak and Matt Schaub out, a rookie draft pick and new coach in for next year.
If you're looking for hope in the schedule? They're at Kansas City next week, then a bye, then they host the Colts before things even out a bit.
Kubiak's record is now 61-57 with the Texans, and there's a fair chance he'll be at .500 before season's end -- which would be fitting, for a coach that never got too high, or (until now), too low.
And it really never began.
- Drew Brees: Call Him Mr. Primetime
- Kyle Orton Brings The Bubby Back
- Rookie Wide Receivers Making Huge Impact In 2014
- Matt Forte On Pace For Most Receptions By A Running Back In NFL History
- The NFL London Series: Games That Aren't That Great
- Matt Ryan Interception: Worst Of The Season?
- VIDEO: Geno Smith's Three Interceptions In Six Seconds
- VIDEO: JJ Watt Mocks Zach Mettenberger W Sack & Selfie
- 2014 NFL Season Player Props
- Vegas Win Totals For Each NFL Team