Green Bay Bratwurst: Authentic Recipe Straight From Lambeau Field
With its German heritage and die-hard football fans, Wisconsin is the natural place to find the world's best tailgate bratwurst.
In German, bratwurst simply means roast sausage.
We wanted to know the secrets to authentic Wisconsin bratwurst, so we descended deep into the belly of the football and bratwurst beast: we contacted Leo Dominguez, the executive chef for Curly's Pub and the other restaurants at Lambeau Field in Green Bay.
Here's how to grill up Green Bay bratwurst, with a little guidance from a man who cooks thousands of bratwurst each and every game day (the pub is actually open seven days a week, but closes to everyone but ticket-holders on gameday).
Curly's Pub uses Johnsonville brats, which are available in most parts of the country. But a number of other brats are popular in Wisconsin, including Usinger's and Klement's. Around Cold, Hard Football Facts world headquarters in Boston, Kayem is the popular local brand.
- 8 bratwurst
- One large onion, chopped
- 4 to 5 Tablespoons of butter
- 1 to 2 12-ounce beers (an American or German lager works best); or substitute with water or beef stock
- Kosher salt and fresh-cracked pepper
- 8 high-quality rolls
Place tin grill pan or cast-iron skillet or Dutch oven (we recommend cast iron) on one side of a medium to medium-hot grill and melt butter in it. Add chopped onions to melted butter, with a little salt and pepper to taste (about ½ teaspoon or more each). When onions soften, add beer (or other liquid) and bratwurst, turn up the heat and bring to a boil for about 5 to 10 minutes. Remove brats with tongs and place over hot grates on other half of the grill.
"The big thing in Wisconsin," said Dominguez, "is to char the outside of the bratwurst. The crispier and darker, the better. It will stay nice, juicy and tender in the middle."
Serve the bratwurst on a torpedo, sub, Kaiser or other large roll (an ordinary hot dog roll simply doesn't cut it). Top with mustard and/or sauerkraut and/or onions.
- Play Fantasy Football in Seconds with Fantasy Spin Quick Pick
- Week 12 Quality Stats Breakdown: Vikings-Falcons
- Steelers-Seahawks tight statistical showdown
- Patriots, Panthers Have Each Faced Just 1 Quality Opponent
- New England Heads to Denver Dominant in Quality Stats Battle
- Cardinals, Patriots Top 2 in Mother of All Stats, Passer Rating Differential
- Super Bowl XLIX Prop Bets: Full List
- Super Bowl 49 Game Capsule: Patriots @ Seahawks
- Awesome: Must-see Super Bowl Hall of Shame Infographic
- Referee Bill Vinovich Gets The Nod For Super Bowl 49 -- Balls