Belichick, Patriots join 49ers in elite dynastic company
Cold, Hard Football Facts for Jan 02, 2011
We reported last week that New England had a shot to win 14 games in a season for the fourth time in franchise history.
The Patriots accomplished that feat with their 38-7 victory Miami. The organization won 14 games in 2003, 2004 and now in 2010; they won 16 in 2007. Only San Francisco has matched that feat, winnining 15 games in 1984 and 14 games in 1989, 1990 and 1992.
The 411 first reported here at ColdHardFootballFacts.com built quite a bit of groundswell around the airwaves and inter-webs this week.
Bill Belichick, after all, is the only coach in history to win 14-plus games four times, and he did it in the space of eight seasons (2003-10). The 49ers won 15 games once with Bill Walsh, and 14 games three times with George Seifert, in the space of nine seasons.
No other organization boasts more than two 14-plus win seasons.
It's really mindblowing stuff. Remember, as we said at the time, the Packers, Giants and Bears are three of the NFL's oldest, most successful and most glamorous franchises (No. 1, No. 3 and No. 4, respectively, in our epic, all-time franchise rankings that we compiled in 2008). These three high-profile franchises have played a combined 257 NFL seasons and have each enjoyed dynastic periods in their histories.
These three organizations have combined for just three seasons of 14 or more victories (granted, 14-win seasons were not much of a reality until the NFL went to a 16-game schedule in 1978; but that's still 99 seasons of comparison).
- The Bears boast two seasons of 14-plus wins (1985, 1986).
- The Giants enjoyed one 14-plus win season (also in 1986).
- The Packers, the NFL's most successful franchise over the long haul, have never won 14 games in a season.
Here's a look at the number of double-digit wins in history by each franchise.
Seasons with Double-Digit Wins by Franchise (bold indicates season in progress)
|Houston||2002||Ha, ha, ha! That's funny.|
Forearm Shiver: the CHFF Blog
- Wise Guys: Broncos, Patriots, 49ers Top Expected Win Totals In 2013
- Hockey Announcer Gone Wild: You Want To Party (Maybe) With This Guy
- Best Pass Defense Ever: Ronde Barber And The 2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Reese Witherspoon Arrest Video: Hot, Bothered And Handcuffed
- Sam Adams In A Can, Just In Time For Summer Drinking Season
- 'Cheeseheads' Reality Show Destined To Suck
- The 5.0 Club: Best Rushing Teams in NFL History
- Sieves: The Worst Run Defenses In NFL History
- 2013 NFL Schedule: The Year Of The Denver Broncos
- Boston, Sports, Patriotism And Terror
- Monsters of the Midway: We Need The Chicago Bears More Than Ever
- The 100 Stingiest Defenses In Football History
- NFL Crown Rule: Will It Dethrone Rushing King Adrian Peterson?
- Big Tease: 2012 New England Patriots And NFL's History Of Offensive Failures
- Epic Fail: The Wide Receiver Draft Class Of 2012
Must See Videos