Alabama white barbecue sauce
Cold, Hard Football Facts for May 19, 2006
Perhaps the best barbecue cookbook in recent years is "Dr. BBQ's Big-Time Barbecue Cookbook" (St. Martin's, 2005) by barbecue champion Ray "Dr. BBQ" Lampe.
The book is full of all kinds of great recipes and insider tips to world-class barbecue. And Lampe clearly has spent his fair share of time on the road studying the techniques of the countryside barbecue masters.
Alabama white barbecue sauce is a prime example of a regional creation uncovered in his book. Lampe writes that white barbecue sauce is indigenous only to northern Alabama. Most people elsewhere have never even heard of it. He discovered the mayonnaise-based sauce at Big Bob Gibson Bar-B-Q in Decatur, Alabama. You can order the sauce online, or make it yourself using Lampe's recipe below.
The restaurant's chefs simply dunk barbecued chickens in the sauce as soon as they're pulled off a wood fire, writes Lampe.
All barbecue sauces have a few basic building blocks: something savory, something acidic and something spicy. In this respect, white barbecue sauce is no different than the more typical red barbecue sauces.
The homemade version appears thin at first, but we discovered that it thickens up quite nicely if you leave it in your refrigerator for a day or two. So make sure you whip up a batch a couple days before the game.
- 1 c. mayonnaise
- ¾ c. white vinegar
- 1 T. lemon juice
- 1 T. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 t. sugar
- 1 t. prepared horseradish
- 1 t. salt
Combine all ingredients in a bowl, mix well and refrigerate in a covered glass or plastic container for up to 1 month. Makes about 2 cups.
Forearm Shiver: the CHFF Blog
- Hockey Announcer Gone Wild: You Want To Party (Maybe) With This Guy
- Best Pass Defense Ever: Ronde Barber And The 2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Reese Witherspoon Arrest Video: Hot, Bothered And Handcuffed
- Sam Adams In A Can, Just In Time For Summer Drinking Season
- Live From Radio City: Reporter Punks NFL Draft Fans
- The 5.0 Club: Best Rushing Teams in NFL History
- Sieves: The Worst Run Defenses In NFL History
- Monsters of the Midway: We Need The Chicago Bears More Than Ever
- Boston, Sports, Patriotism And Terror
- The 100 Stingiest Defenses In Football History
- NFL Crown Rule: Will It Dethrone Rushing King Adrian Peterson?
- Year Of The Offensive Tackle: Not Always The 'Safe' Draft Bet
- Draft Habits: NFL Teams Covet LBs, Duped By False Temptress WRs
- Big Tease: 2012 New England Patriots And NFL's History Of Offensive Failures
- Epic Fail: The Wide Receiver Draft Class Of 2012
Must See Videos