Tasty Awesomeness: Ma Byrne's New Year's Eve Crabbies
My mom always makes something for New Year’s Eve that we call crabbies, though I’m sure there are other names for them.
It’s essentially a high-saturated fat mixture of crab meat, butter and fake cheese spread across an English muffin and broiled. You quarter the muffins when done and eat them like a bar snack or – in the fancy lingo of New Year’s eve food – a canapé.
Damn, if they ain’t the tastiest, most decadent thing you’ve ever had: a mouthful of hot, oozy, savory goodness.
I suggest pairing them with tons of your favorite beer. Of course, I suggest serving everything with tons of your favorite beer.
Crabbies may be just our name – a curiosity of local Irish-American vernacular typical of Boston’s South Shore in which everything is given an “-y” sound: Dunkin’ Donuts (Dunkies), Stop & Shop (Stoppy), package store (packy), English muffins (Engies), Wollaston (Wolly), Sam Adams (Sammies), sandwich (sangy) and, of course, crab muffins (crabbies).
Whatever you call them, crabbies are pretty damn good.
Ma Byrne’s Crabbies
1 stick butter, softened
1 5-ounce jar Kraft Old English cheese spread, softened
1 6-ounce can crab meat
½ teaspoon mayonnaise
½ teaspoon garlic salt
½ teaspoon seasoned salt
½ teaspoon paprika
6 English muffins, split
Bring butter and cheese to room temperature and mix together well. Drain crab meat and check for shells. Add crab and remaining ingredients and mix together well. Spread mixture on top of English muffins. Preheat oven to 500 degrees or broil. Bake crabbies about 5 minutes, or until spread on top turns nice golden brown. Quarter and serve. You can also spread the mixture on the English muffins and then freeze until ready to bake. Serves about 6 people.
- Hockey Announcer Gone Wild: You Want To Party (Maybe) With This Guy
- Best Pass Defense Ever: Ronde Barber And The 2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Reese Witherspoon Arrest Video: Hot, Bothered And Handcuffed
- Sam Adams In A Can, Just In Time For Summer Drinking Season
- Live From Radio City: Reporter Punks NFL Draft Fans
- The 5.0 Club: Best Rushing Teams in NFL History
- Sieves: The Worst Run Defenses In NFL History
- Monsters of the Midway: We Need The Chicago Bears More Than Ever
- Boston, Sports, Patriotism And Terror
- The 100 Stingiest Defenses In Football History
- NFL Crown Rule: Will It Dethrone Rushing King Adrian Peterson?
- Year Of The Offensive Tackle: Not Always The 'Safe' Draft Bet
- Draft Habits: NFL Teams Covet LBs, Duped By False Temptress WRs
- Big Tease: 2012 New England Patriots And NFL's History Of Offensive Failures
- Epic Fail: The Wide Receiver Draft Class Of 2012