Roger Goodell and the NFL Could Eliminate Kickoffs
by Patrick Imig (@patrickimig)
Cold Hard Football Facts' Kickoff Crusader
According to the newest edition of TIME Magazine, the NFL and Roger Goodell have listened to an idea brought forth by Tampa Bay Bucs head coach Greg Schiano that would eliminate kickoffs after touchdowns or field goals.
From the article:
"After a touchdown or field goal, instead of kicking off, a team would get the ball on its own 30-yard line, where it's fourth-and-15," TIME's Sean Gregory writes. "The options are either to go for it and try to retain possession or punt. If you go for it and fall short, of course, the opposing team would take over with good field position. In essence, a punt replaces the kickoffs."
And here I thought it was crazy when the XFL removed the opening kickoff in favor of two players sprinting towards midfield to capture the ball and possession. (It was dubbed the opening "Scramble".)
If you're looking for a more watered-down version of the NFL, you're probably happy with eliminating kickoffs.
If you think the idea sucks, you probably also don't understand the reasoning behind it (I would be in this camp). Couple things here.
a) How is a punt return any safer than a kickoff?
b) Who actually thinks a team "playing for keeps" is a good idea? This isn't street basketball, this is the NFL where "Not For Long" will be football as we knew and remember it if the league decides to abolish kickoffs in the future.
- Super Bowl XLIX Favorites: NFC Likely To Be Super Again In 2014
- Super Bowl XLVIII Most Watched Program In U.S. History
- Super Bowl XLVIII Postgame Stat-Palooza
- CHFF Classic: Russell Wilson NFL's Best Young QB
- Super Bowl XLVIII: Broncos-Seahawks The Statistically Perfect Super Bowl
- Prop-A-Palooza II: Hundreds More Super Bowl XLVIII Prop Bets
- Live From Media Day: Could Seattle D Stop Russell Wilson
- Seattle Seahawks Brash Legion of Boom Proves Real Statistical Deal
- AFC Champion Denver Broncos Betting Season in Review
- NFC Champion Seattle Seahawks Betting Season in Review