8 Reasons Why American Football Is More American Than The U.S. Government
by Pat Imig
Cold Hard Football Facts Bastion of Football Freedom (@patrickimig)
It's the week of the biggest sporting event on the American sports calendar. While the football purists have to sift through longer TV timeouts and halftime shows featuring poppy musicians, the eyes and ears of the country will be tuned to the television on Sunday afternoon.
America's game has become an American celebration. Here are eight reasons American football is better than the American government. Put another way, here are reasons our brand of football is more "American" than our brand of government.
1. REAL PATRIOTISM
It's nice to see genuine patriotism and love of country from real people who are grateful for the blessings they have. The National Anthem is a great way to start American football.
Contrast that to the corporate suits and ties who convene for state of the union addresses and primary elections where everyone opposes one another, only to sleep in bed together when the lights are off. The joke appears to be on us … I'll take the football players thank you.
2. THE NFL ACTUALLY FOLLOWS ITS RULEBOOK
If the leaders of the country followed The Constitution the way Roger Goodell and NFL officials adhere to every nook, cranny and nuance of the NFL rulebook, there would be a lot more clarity in our every day lives, and a lot more respect for the people who hold office.
3. OFFICIAL REVIEWS TAKE MINUTES, NOT DAYS, WEEKS OR MONTHS
As much as it might pain fans to sit through a few-minute delay to ensure the play on the field was a fumble, it beats going to the DMV, among other things.
4. DEAD PEOPLE DON'T VOTE FOR AWARDS, PRO BOWL OR HALL OF FAME BALLOTS
Only people with a beating heart have a say in the Pro Bowl rosters. And when it comes to awards and inductions to Canton, Ohio, there are no dead writers contributing.
5. CRITICISM OF LEAGUE WON'T RESULT IN AUDITS OR SPYING (YET)
There's no targeting of fans who hoot and holler about tailgate regulations at the Super Bowl; likewise for those who want the game to return to a more physical, old-school style. A devout fan can even blast his own team's players and coaches if he or she feels like it with no fear of persecution. All opinions are protected under the umbrella of The League.
Boehner and Biden would be a lot more tolerable at those State of the Union Addresses with some U.S. cheerleaders decked in American flag colors.
7. FANS CAN MAKE MONEY OFF THE PLAYERS & TEAMS; GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS MAKE MONEY OFF FANS
Fantasy football and gambling is a serious money-maker (and money-loser). And while fans indirectly provide income for the players and teams by packing stadiums and purchasing jerseys and TV packages, it's by choice.
That's a lot better than the taxpaying citizen funding those lavish vacations and expensive travel taken by the First Familiy and their peers.
The only time these two points intersect is when the tax payer has to help fund a new stadium.
8. FOOTBALL FLYOVERS
The Flyover doesn't take place at inaugurations or other political celebrations. It does at the Super Bowl and kickoff weekends.
God Bless America.
- Play Fantasy Football in Seconds with Fantasy Spin Quick Pick
- Panthers Better Than Falcons in 17 of 22 Quality Stats
- Steelers-Seahawks tight statistical showdown
- Patriots, Panthers Have Each Faced Just 1 Quality Opponent
- New England Heads to Denver Dominant in Quality Stats Battle
- Cardinals, Patriots Top 2 in Mother of All Stats, Passer Rating Differential
- Super Bowl XLIX Prop Bets: Full List
- Super Bowl 49 Game Capsule: Patriots @ Seahawks
- Awesome: Must-see Super Bowl Hall of Shame Infographic
- Referee Bill Vinovich Gets The Nod For Super Bowl 49 -- Balls