Articles tagged "marine corps"
Jack Chevigny: football's larger-than-life war hero
Author Jeff Walker was haunted by the story football star Jack Chevigny. He chronicles that life, from the greatest moments in football history, to Chevigny's death on the bloody, war-torn island of Iwo Jima, in the new book, "The Last Chalkline."
Jack Lummus: the NFL's hero of Iwo Jima
Our annual Memorial Day salute to the NFL's war dead returns today with a back-by-popular-demand profile of Marine Corps first lieutenant Jack Lummus, a two-way end for the Giants who later earned the Medal of Honor on Iwo Jima ... at the cost of his life.
Battlefield heroes: Jack Chevigny
The fictional Forrest Gump played football for Bear Bryant. Jack Chevigny was the real deal, minus the dim wit: He scored for Notre Dame in Knute Rockne's "win one for the Gipper" game, coached pro and college football, and was then killed in the invasion of Iwo Jima. His brushes with destiny did not end there.
- Super Bowl XLIX Favorites: NFC Likely To Be Super Again In 2014
- Super Bowl XLVIII Most Watched Program In U.S. History
- Super Bowl XLVIII Postgame Stat-Palooza
- CHFF Classic: Russell Wilson NFL's Best Young QB
- Super Bowl XLVIII: Broncos-Seahawks The Statistically Perfect Super Bowl
- Prop-A-Palooza II: Hundreds More Super Bowl XLVIII Prop Bets
- Live From Media Day: Could Seattle D Stop Russell Wilson
- Seattle Seahawks Brash Legion of Boom Proves Real Statistical Deal
- AFC Champion Denver Broncos Betting Season in Review
- NFC Champion Seattle Seahawks Betting Season in Review