Articles tagged "Marine Corps"
Jack Chevigny: football's larger-than-life war hero
Author Jeff Walker was haunted by the story football star Jack Chevigny. He chronicles that life, from the greatest moments in football history, to Chevigny's death on the bloody, war-torn island of Iwo Jima, in the new book, "The Last Chalkline."
Jack Lummus: the NFL's hero of Iwo Jima
Our annual Memorial Day salute to the NFL's war dead returns today with a back-by-popular-demand profile of Marine Corps first lieutenant Jack Lummus, a two-way end for the Giants who later earned the Medal of Honor on Iwo Jima ... at the cost of his life.
Battlefield heroes: Jack Chevigny
The fictional Forrest Gump played football for Bear Bryant. Jack Chevigny was the real deal, minus the dim wit: He scored for Notre Dame in Knute Rockne's "win one for the Gipper" game, coached pro and college football, and was then killed in the invasion of Iwo Jima. His brushes with destiny did not end there.
- Jaguars Outlast Titans In XFL Classic
- NFL Week 16 Game Capsules
- Jeremy Hill & ODB Setting Rookie Records While Veterans Fitzgerald, Smith & Wayne Make History
- Comebacks, Touchdowns and Yards Galore: NFL 2014
- Saints at Bears And a Bizarre Playoff Race
- 4th Quarter Pole: Marshawn Lynch, Jamaal Charles December's Best Running Backs
- Patriots & Chargers Dominating December In Recent History
- Quality Stats Six Pack: Game-Changers Down the Stretch
- 2014 NFL Season Player Props
- Vegas Win Totals For Each NFL Team