Articles tagged "Iwo Jima"
Jack Chevigny: football's larger-than-life war hero
Author Jeff Walker was haunted by the story football star Jack Chevigny. He chronicles that life, from the greatest moments in football history, to Chevigny's death on the bloody, war-torn island of Iwo Jima, in the new book, "The Last Chalkline."
Jack Lummus: the NFL's hero of Iwo Jima
Our annual Memorial Day salute to the NFL's war dead returns today with a back-by-popular-demand profile of Marine Corps first lieutenant Jack Lummus, a two-way end for the Giants who later earned the Medal of Honor on Iwo Jima ... at the cost of his life.
Battlefield heroes: Jack Chevigny
The fictional Forrest Gump played football for Bear Bryant. Jack Chevigny was the real deal, minus the dim wit: He scored for Notre Dame in Knute Rockne's "win one for the Gipper" game, coached pro and college football, and was then killed in the invasion of Iwo Jima. His brushes with destiny did not end there.
- Quality Stats Super Bowl Breakdown: Patriots vs Seahawks
- Super Bowl XLIX Prop Bets: Full List
- Super Bowl 49 Game Capsule: Patriots @ Seahawks
- Awesome: Must-see Super Bowl Hall of Shame Infographic
- Referee Bill Vinovich Gets The Nod For Super Bowl 49 -- Balls
- 2014 NFL Divisional Playoffs Most-Watched Evah!
- CHFF's Pat Imig Talks Stan Kroenke & The Rams on Sportsnet 590 Toronto
- NFL 2014 Playoff Seeds and Schedule
- Cold Hard Football Facts Quality Stats: Perfect 4-0 In Wild Card Weekend
- Vegas Win Totals For Each NFL Team