White trash cheese dip
Cold, Hard Football Facts for Aug 09, 2005
The Bukowski Tavern is one of the country's best beer bars (actually, two of the best – there are locations in Boston and Cambridge, Mass.). The menu features a very popular appetizer called white trash cheese dip.
It's a perfect gameday dish and easy to make at home before kickoff. If you're going to the game and plan to make it in the parking lot, just make sure you bring your portable stove and pans with your tailgate gear. After all, it's kinda hard to mix melted cheese and milk on your grill grate.
The recipe comes from Bukowski bar manager and beer expert Aaron Sanders, who learned it from his father when he was growing up in a trailer park in Texas. It's easy to make and pretty damn good – so good that the urban hipsters who inhabit places like Cambridge and who normally recoil at the thought of anything associated with a Texas trailer park choose to cast aside their prejudices and wolf down white trash cheese dip with a speed and dexterity normally seen only in the potato chip aisle at Wal-Mart.
Here's what you need:
- 1 pound white American cheese
- 2 cups milk
- ½ pound butter
- 1/3 cup chopped white onion
- 1/3 cup chopped jalapenos
- 1/3 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup green chilis
Slowly melt the cheese and butter in a double boiler with the milk. Stir frequently to prevent scorching. When very hot, mix in the vegetables, stir, then pour the hot dip into a bowl and serve with corn chips or pita chips.
Forearm Shiver: the CHFF Blog
- Hockey Announcer Gone Wild: You Want To Party (Maybe) With This Guy
- Best Pass Defense Ever: Ronde Barber And The 2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Reese Witherspoon Arrest Video: Hot, Bothered And Handcuffed
- Sam Adams In A Can, Just In Time For Summer Drinking Season
- Live From Radio City: Reporter Punks NFL Draft Fans
- The 5.0 Club: Best Rushing Teams in NFL History
- Sieves: The Worst Run Defenses In NFL History
- Monsters of the Midway: We Need The Chicago Bears More Than Ever
- Boston, Sports, Patriotism And Terror
- The 100 Stingiest Defenses In Football History
- NFL Crown Rule: Will It Dethrone Rushing King Adrian Peterson?
- Year Of The Offensive Tackle: Not Always The 'Safe' Draft Bet
- Draft Habits: NFL Teams Covet LBs, Duped By False Temptress WRs
- Big Tease: 2012 New England Patriots And NFL's History Of Offensive Failures
- Epic Fail: The Wide Receiver Draft Class Of 2012
Must See Videos