Week 17 wrap: 2009 another banner year for offenses
Cold, Hard Football Facts for Jan 03, 2010
The following facts, stats and milestones come from the NFL:
This season, 10 quarterbacks each passed for at least 4,000 yards – MATT SCHAUB (4,770), PEYTON MANNING (4,500), TONY ROMO (4,483), AARON RODGERS (4,434), TOM BRADY (4,398), DREW BREES (4,388), BEN ROETHLISBERGER (4,328), PHILIP RIVERS (4,254), BRETT FAVRE (4,202) and ELI MANNING (4,021) – the most in a single season in NFL history. The previous record was seven in 2007.
Twelve quarterbacks passed for at least 25 touchdowns this year – Brees (34), Favre (33), P. Manning (33), Rodgers (30), Schaub (29), Brady (28), Rivers (28), JAY CUTLER (27), E. Manning (27), Roethlisberger (26), Romo (26) and KURT WARNER (26) – the most in a single season in NFL history. The previous record was 10 in 2007.
Tennessee running back CHRIS JOHNSON had 154 scrimmage yards (134 rushing, 20 receiving) in the Titans' 17-13 victory over Seattle. Johnson totaled 2,509 scrimmage yards this season (2,006 rushing, 503 receiving), surpassing MARSHALL FAULK (2,429 in 1999) for the most yards from scrimmage in a single season in NFL history.
Johnson also led the league in rushing with 2,006 yards and became the sixth player in league history with 2,000 rushing yards in a season. (Read more about Johnson here.)
The Green Bay Packers improved to 11-5 with a 33-7 victory over Arizona. The Packers became the first team in NFL history with a 4,000-yard passer (QB AARON RODGERS), 1,200-yard rusher (RB RYAN GRANT) and two 1,000-yard receivers (WRs DONALD DRIVER & GREG JENNINGS) in consecutive seasons.
Carolina running back JONATHAN STEWART rushed for 125 yards in the Panthers' 23-10 win against New Orleans. Stewart (1,133) and DE ANGELO WILLIAMS (1,117) are the first set of teammates to each rush for 1,100 yards in a single season.
Minnesota quarterback BRETT FAVRE threw four touchdowns in the Vikings' 44-7 win against the New York Giants. Favre, who passed for 33 touchdowns this season, reached the 30-TD mark for the ninth time in his career, the most in NFL history.
Favre, who passed for 316 yards against the Giants, reached the 4,000-yard mark (4,202) for the sixth time in his career, tied with Pro Football Hall of Famer DAN MARINO for the second-most in NFL history.
Houston wide receiver ANDRE JOHNSON had 65 receiving yards in the Texans' 34-27 win against New England. Johnson, who has led the NFL in receiving with 1,575 yards in 2008 and 1,569 yards in 2009, joined JERRY RICE as the only players since 1970 to lead the league in consecutive seasons. Rice topped the league in back-to-back seasons in1989-90 and led the NFL three years in a row from 1993-95.
Johnson and MARVIN HARRISON (2001-02) are the only players in NFL history to record at least 1,500 receiving yards in consecutive seasons.
San Francisco tight end VERNON DAVIS had a touchdown catch in the 49ers' 28-6 victory over St. Louis. Davis, who tied for the NFL lead with 13 touchdown receptions in 2009, tied ANTONIO GATES of San Diego (13 in 2004) for the most TD catches by a tight end in a single-season in NFL history.
Forearm Shiver: the CHFF Blog
- Hockey Announcer Gone Wild: You Want To Party (Maybe) With This Guy
- Best Pass Defense Ever: Ronde Barber And The 2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Reese Witherspoon Arrest Video: Hot, Bothered And Handcuffed
- Sam Adams In A Can, Just In Time For Summer Drinking Season
- Live From Radio City: Reporter Punks NFL Draft Fans
- The 5.0 Club: Best Rushing Teams in NFL History
- Sieves: The Worst Run Defenses In NFL History
- Monsters of the Midway: We Need The Chicago Bears More Than Ever
- Boston, Sports, Patriotism And Terror
- The 100 Stingiest Defenses In Football History
- NFL Crown Rule: Will It Dethrone Rushing King Adrian Peterson?
- Year Of The Offensive Tackle: Not Always The 'Safe' Draft Bet
- Draft Habits: NFL Teams Covet LBs, Duped By False Temptress WRs
- Big Tease: 2012 New England Patriots And NFL's History Of Offensive Failures
- Epic Fail: The Wide Receiver Draft Class Of 2012
Must See Videos