Week 1 NFL broadcast maps
Cold, Hard Football Facts for Sep 04, 2008
These nifty broadcast maps are provided each week courtesy of the fine folks at the506.com. We still have no idea what the506 is all about. But, boy, do they provide some cool collages highlighting what Pigskin America is watching each Sunday.
The maps also provide some insight into the NFL, the psyche of fans and the goals of the big pro football broadcasters.
If you told us back in January that the Jets-Dolphins tilt would be CBS's premier Week 1 broadcast, we would have convulsed so wildly that we'd need to be shot with tranquilizer needles normally reserved for large North American mammals such as moose, elk and, well ... us. But with a little injection of Brett Favre and Bill Parcells, this battle between teams that combined for a paltry five wins last year draws the network's top team of Jim Nantz and Phil Simms and nearly coast-to-coast coverage. The rest of the CBS slate features only regional affairs.
With a double-header this week, the early broadcast of four uninspiring games draws scattered coverage across the nation with little geographic loyalty. Let's put it this way, the six small states of New England will be fed three different games. How bad is it? Seattle-Buffalo gets the greatest geographic distribution in the early slot.
If you followed these broadcast maps last year, it quickly became apparent why the Cowboys are – without dispute – "America's Team." Dallas games are almost always the most widely distributed games in the league each week. The start of the 2008 season is no exception, with the Cowboys-Browns inter-conference tilt being seen from coast to coast and drawing Fox's top crew of Joe Buck-Troy Aikman. Carolina-San Diego and the Arizona-San Francisco dog get limited local distribution.
From our partners
- Quality Stats Super Bowl Breakdown: Patriots vs Seahawks
- Super Bowl XLIX Prop Bets: Full List
- Super Bowl 49 Game Capsule: Patriots @ Seahawks
- Awesome: Must-see Super Bowl Hall of Shame Infographic
- Referee Bill Vinovich Gets The Nod For Super Bowl 49 -- Balls
- 2014 NFL Divisional Playoffs Most-Watched Evah!
- CHFF's Pat Imig Talks Stan Kroenke & The Rams on Sportsnet 590 Toronto
- NFL 2014 Playoff Seeds and Schedule
- Cold Hard Football Facts Quality Stats: Perfect 4-0 In Wild Card Weekend
- Vegas Win Totals For Each NFL Team