A trollish concept: Quality Stats differential
Cold, Hard Football Facts for Jan 11, 2008
We've long told you that our stats are "Quality Stats" because they have a direct correlation to winning football games.
After all, what good is blurting out a stat if really doesn't matter?
Well, Cold, Hard Football Facts reader, occasional contributor and asocial basement-dwelling stat junkie Mark Wald has gone our Quality Stats one step further, sizing up some offensive and defensive statistical counterparts and looking at the differential between the two.
- Offensive Passing Yards Per Attempt – Defensive Passing YPA = Passing YPA Differential
- Scoreability Index – Bendability Index = Efficiency Differential
- Offensive Passer Rating – Defensive Passer Rating = Passer Rating Differential
In a second spreadsheet, which you can find here, Wald also looked at first down differential and the results are pretty impressive (it was actually this report that he sent us last week that spawned his desire to size up Quality Stats differential).
"Using 2007 final regular-season stats and the 12 playoff teams as the gauge for success, the differential in each category has a more direct correlation to winning than either the single offensive or defensive stats alone.
"For example, Passing YPA differential was clearly more correlative to winning football games than either Offensive Passing YPA or Defensive YPA alone."
(For the record, Bud Goode, who we profiled in our "smartest football sites" piece, has charted Passing Yards Per Attempt differential for years, calling it his "No. 1 Killer Stat.")
Wald does note that Passer Rating differential was actually slightly less correlative too winning than Defensive Passer Rating alone. "However, when you consider the differential rank of the elite playoff teams, it was more correlative too winning."
All in all, though, some pretty interesting stuff for trolls and those who just want to look like trolls.
Forearm Shiver: the CHFF Blog
- Hockey Announcer Gone Wild: You Want To Party (Maybe) With This Guy
- Best Pass Defense Ever: Ronde Barber And The 2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Reese Witherspoon Arrest Video: Hot, Bothered And Handcuffed
- Sam Adams In A Can, Just In Time For Summer Drinking Season
- Live From Radio City: Reporter Punks NFL Draft Fans
- The 5.0 Club: Best Rushing Teams in NFL History
- Sieves: The Worst Run Defenses In NFL History
- Monsters of the Midway: We Need The Chicago Bears More Than Ever
- Boston, Sports, Patriotism And Terror
- The 100 Stingiest Defenses In Football History
- NFL Crown Rule: Will It Dethrone Rushing King Adrian Peterson?
- Year Of The Offensive Tackle: Not Always The 'Safe' Draft Bet
- Draft Habits: NFL Teams Covet LBs, Duped By False Temptress WRs
- Big Tease: 2012 New England Patriots And NFL's History Of Offensive Failures
- Epic Fail: The Wide Receiver Draft Class Of 2012
Must See Videos