Cold, Hard Football Facts for Aug 02, 2005
Steelers fans Lou Bosser and Jeff Trebac own Peppi's Old Time Sandwich Shops, a chain of popular restaurants in Pittsburgh.
Most of their sandwiches are named after celebrities, employees and customers. But in 2004, they struck culinary black-and-gold as their favorite team found its Next Great Quarterback.
Pittsburgh that season inserted its rookie quarterback into the line-up – a fella named Ben Roethlisberger. It dawned on the Peppi's crew that "Roethlisburger" would be a fine name for its beef, sausage and egg sandwich.
A legend was born. Roethlisberger (the player) led the Steelers on a remarkable run that ended in a 2004 AFC title-game appearance. The following year, of course, he led Pittsburgh to its first Super Bowl title in 26 years and became the youngest Super Bowl-winning QB. Roethlisburger, the sandwich, scored more free publicity than a Terrell Owens end-zone stunt.
"It was like hitting the lottery," Bosser told the Cold, Hard Football Facts.
Needless to say, we wanted the inside scoop on the Roethlisburger so we could whip some up this season on the back of the PIGSKIN Ford pick-up.
Here's what you need for one sandwich:
- 6 ounces hot sausage, chopped finely
- 6 ounces high-quality ground beef
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 jumbo egg, scrambled
- 4 slices American or provolone cheese
- 1 fresh Italian sub roll
- Optional garnishes: lettuce, tomatoes, hot pepper, mayonnaise
Cook the sausage, beef and onion on a griddle or skillet (if needed, grease the surface with a small bit of olive oil). When the meat and onions are just about ready, toss in the scrambled egg with the meat and mix together. When egg is cooked, place cheese across the top. Let cheese melt, and then scoop everything up into a sub roll. Garnish as desired.
From our partners
- Jaguars Outlast Titans In XFL Classic
- NFL Week 16 Game Capsules
- Jeremy Hill & ODB Setting Rookie Records While Veterans Fitzgerald, Smith & Wayne Make History
- Comebacks, Touchdowns and Yards Galore: NFL 2014
- Saints at Bears And a Bizarre Playoff Race
- 4th Quarter Pole: Marshawn Lynch, Jamaal Charles December's Best Running Backs
- Patriots & Chargers Dominating December In Recent History
- Quality Stats Six Pack: Game-Changers Down the Stretch
- 2014 NFL Season Player Props
- Vegas Win Totals For Each NFL Team