Cold, Hard Football Facts for Aug 02, 2005
Steelers fans Lou Bosser and Jeff Trebac own Peppi's Old Time Sandwich Shops, a chain of popular restaurants in Pittsburgh.
Most of their sandwiches are named after celebrities, employees and customers. But in 2004, they struck culinary black-and-gold as their favorite team found its Next Great Quarterback.
Pittsburgh that season inserted its rookie quarterback into the line-up – a fella named Ben Roethlisberger. It dawned on the Peppi's crew that "Roethlisburger" would be a fine name for its beef, sausage and egg sandwich.
A legend was born. Roethlisberger (the player) led the Steelers on a remarkable run that ended in a 2004 AFC title-game appearance. The following year, of course, he led Pittsburgh to its first Super Bowl title in 26 years and became the youngest Super Bowl-winning QB. Roethlisburger, the sandwich, scored more free publicity than a Terrell Owens end-zone stunt.
"It was like hitting the lottery," Bosser told the Cold, Hard Football Facts.
Needless to say, we wanted the inside scoop on the Roethlisburger so we could whip some up this season on the back of the PIGSKIN Ford pick-up.
Here's what you need for one sandwich:
- 6 ounces hot sausage, chopped finely
- 6 ounces high-quality ground beef
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 jumbo egg, scrambled
- 4 slices American or provolone cheese
- 1 fresh Italian sub roll
- Optional garnishes: lettuce, tomatoes, hot pepper, mayonnaise
Cook the sausage, beef and onion on a griddle or skillet (if needed, grease the surface with a small bit of olive oil). When the meat and onions are just about ready, toss in the scrambled egg with the meat and mix together. When egg is cooked, place cheese across the top. Let cheese melt, and then scoop everything up into a sub roll. Garnish as desired.
Forearm Shiver: the CHFF Blog
- Hockey Announcer Gone Wild: You Want To Party (Maybe) With This Guy
- Best Pass Defense Ever: Ronde Barber And The 2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Reese Witherspoon Arrest Video: Hot, Bothered And Handcuffed
- Sam Adams In A Can, Just In Time For Summer Drinking Season
- Live From Radio City: Reporter Punks NFL Draft Fans
- The 5.0 Club: Best Rushing Teams in NFL History
- Sieves: The Worst Run Defenses In NFL History
- 2013 NFL Schedule: The Year Of The Denver Broncos
- Boston, Sports, Patriotism And Terror
- The 100 Stingiest Defenses In Football History
- NFL Crown Rule: Will It Dethrone Rushing King Adrian Peterson?
- Year Of The Offensive Tackle: Not Always The 'Safe' Draft Bet
- Draft Habits: NFL Teams Covet LBs, Duped By False Temptress WRs
- Big Tease: 2012 New England Patriots And NFL's History Of Offensive Failures
- Epic Fail: The Wide Receiver Draft Class Of 2012
Must See Videos