The Grand Old Game rocks!!!
Cold, Hard Football Facts for Aug 31, 2007
We know our readers, generally speaking, are more focused on the NFL than on our much-beloved "Grand Old Game" of college football. Just look at our most recent Troll Poll, in which one-third of our readers said they don't care about the college game.
Wethinks y'all are missing something out there: namely, the gameday excitement around a big NFL game simply does not match the hysteria of a big-time college football game.
Not even close.
Look, for example, at the first couple minutes of today's East Carolina-Virginia Tech game on ESPN. Sure, there was some unusual emotional fervor to the game because of the VaTech tragedy earlier this year. But this played out minutes after a somber tribute to the tragedy. And it pretty much sums up what the college game is all about. It's pretty amazing. Now, imagine if it were a big game, like a rivalry opponent or something.
show video here
If that don't get you worked up, well ... you're more cold and emotionless than we are: Metallica blasting over the loudspeakers, 70,000 people, almost every single one dressed in maroon & orange, leaping up and down like pogo sticks, the teams and cheerleaders racing out of the tunnels, school, state and American flags flying.
It's pretty f'in cool. That's pure Americana folks. That's what college football is all about.
If we had an emotion, we'd love it so.
From our partners
- Drew Brees: Call Him Mr. Primetime
- Kyle Orton Brings The Bubby Back
- Rookie Wide Receivers Making Huge Impact In 2014
- Matt Forte On Pace For Most Receptions By A Running Back In NFL History
- The NFL London Series: Games That Aren't That Great
- Matt Ryan Interception: Worst Of The Season?
- VIDEO: Geno Smith's Three Interceptions In Six Seconds
- VIDEO: JJ Watt Mocks Zach Mettenberger W Sack & Selfie
- 2014 NFL Season Player Props
- Vegas Win Totals For Each NFL Team