Tailgate treats: When soda and chicken meet
- 1½ lbs. chicken wings
- Grated zest and juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 cups cola (If you can find it, use one made with cane sugar. It tastes better and cooks more evenly. If you can't find it, just keep an eye during the cooking process, as high fructose corn syrup tends to burn easily)
- Vegetable oil for oiling the rack
- 2 teaspoon of salt plus additional salt and pepper for the wings before marinating
- ¼ teaspoon of red pepper flakes (Optional if you are really missing something spicy)
Cut the wings into two pieces and season with salt and pepper. In a bowl, mix the lemon zest, juice, juice, ginger, garlic and red pepper if using. Add the half-teaspoon of salt and then add the wings, stirring to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for two hours.
Preheat the oven to 400 F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and top with an oiled metal rack. Pour the cola into the bowl with the wings and stir to coat. Remove the wings from the marinade and place them on the rack, bumpy skin side up. Make sure the wings don't touch each other.
Pour the marinade into a saucepan and bring to a hard boil for 15 min. Brush the marinade on the wings. (It will be quite thin).
Bake the wings for 10 min. Brush again with marinade and then cook for another ten min. Brush the wings and increase the temperature to 450 F. Brush the wings one final time and bake for 5 more min.
- Super Bowl XLIX Favorites: NFC Likely To Be Super Again In 2014
- Super Bowl XLVIII Most Watched Program In U.S. History
- Super Bowl XLVIII Postgame Stat-Palooza
- CHFF Classic: Russell Wilson NFL's Best Young QB
- Super Bowl XLVIII: Broncos-Seahawks The Statistically Perfect Super Bowl
- Prop-A-Palooza II: Hundreds More Super Bowl XLVIII Prop Bets
- Live From Media Day: Could Seattle D Stop Russell Wilson
- Seattle Seahawks Brash Legion of Boom Proves Real Statistical Deal
- AFC Champion Denver Broncos Betting Season in Review
- NFC Champion Seattle Seahawks Betting Season in Review