Tailgate treats: When soda and chicken meet
- 1½ lbs. chicken wings
- Grated zest and juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 cups cola (If you can find it, use one made with cane sugar. It tastes better and cooks more evenly. If you can't find it, just keep an eye during the cooking process, as high fructose corn syrup tends to burn easily)
- Vegetable oil for oiling the rack
- 2 teaspoon of salt plus additional salt and pepper for the wings before marinating
- ¼ teaspoon of red pepper flakes (Optional if you are really missing something spicy)
Cut the wings into two pieces and season with salt and pepper. In a bowl, mix the lemon zest, juice, juice, ginger, garlic and red pepper if using. Add the half-teaspoon of salt and then add the wings, stirring to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for two hours.
Preheat the oven to 400 F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and top with an oiled metal rack. Pour the cola into the bowl with the wings and stir to coat. Remove the wings from the marinade and place them on the rack, bumpy skin side up. Make sure the wings don't touch each other.
Pour the marinade into a saucepan and bring to a hard boil for 15 min. Brush the marinade on the wings. (It will be quite thin).
Bake the wings for 10 min. Brush again with marinade and then cook for another ten min. Brush the wings and increase the temperature to 450 F. Brush the wings one final time and bake for 5 more min.
- Disappointing Falcons, Texans League-Worst 0-8 vs. Quality Opponents
- Stifling Seahawks (No. 1 Scoring D); Red-Hot Chiefs (No. 3 Scoring O) Top CHFF Power Rankings
- Listen To FF Champs Radio, 12-2 ET Tuesday
- St. Louis 27, New Orleans 16: Rams Compound Saints Road Problems
- Bloated Yardage Totals Creating Record Season For All 32 Teams
- Miami 24, New England 20: Dolphins Alter AFC Landscape
- Russell Wilson Joins Dan Marino, Peyton Manning in Record Books
- Seattle 23, New York Giants 0: Seahawks Silence Giants
- 2013: The Year Of The 14-Point Comeback
- Hold Your Horses! Denver Broncos Lose Game, AFC Upper Hand