South Carolina pulled pork sandwiches
Cold, Hard Football Facts for Aug 14, 2006
This is an ass-kicking pulled pork recipe. It combines our standard method for making pulled pork sandwiches with an awesome dry rub from super barbecue chef Andy Husbands and our mustardy, mouthwatering South Carolina barbecue sauce.
One warning: this is a time-consuming recipe. Make sure you have plenty of tailgate time, or simply make it in your backyard when you're watching the game at home.
Make the sauce and the dry rub before the game at home. Store each in an airtight containter and bring them with you to the game. After that, here's all you need:
* 3 pounds pork butt or shoulder, boneless
* 1 cup apple cider
* 1 cup apple cider vinegar
* 8 white sandwich buns
Heat off-set smoker or water smoker to 275 degrees, using whatever hardwood is handy and available in your part of the country. Combine the cider and cider vinegar together in a food-grade spray bottle.
Place the pork in a shallow pan or bowl and cover liberally with the dry rub. Then place the pork in the hot smoker for 4 to 4 1/2 hours. Mist the meat with the cider mixture after the first 2 hours of cooking every ½ hour. The meat should be 195 degrees internally when done. Allow the meat to cool slightly (20 minutes) and shred the meat by hand (use rubber gloves if you do not want your hands stained). Immediately pour the South Carolina barbecue sauce over the shredded pork and toss well to cover all of the meat.
If you're beyond all hope and need further help at this point: open the sandwich roll and place a heaping spoonful of the pork on a bun. Then eat and wash down with your favorite beer.
From our partners
Forearm Shiver: the CHFF Blog
- Gridiron Godfather Roger Goodell Whacks Mike Tomlin With $100,000 Fine
- Tom Brady Aces Final Quarter Exam ... Every Season
- Seattle Reasserts Dominance Atop Quality Stats Power Rankings
- Predators: New England Patriots As Predictable As Ahnold
- Historic Beating: ‘Scumbag’ Detroit Lions Humiliate Green Bay Packers
- Russell Wilson Setting Records Like It's His Job
- Josh Gordon, Adrian Peterson and Alshon Jeffery: Week 13 Statistical Heroes
- NFL Week 14 Game Capsules
- Trifecta, King Of Props Power Week 13 Results
- Seahawks/49ers, Bengals/Colts & Panthers/Saints Highlight Week 14 Slate
Must See Videos