South Carolina barbecue sauce
Cold, Hard Football Facts for Jul 16, 2006
Most of us equate Carolina barbecue sauce with a thin red-vinegar-and-pepper sauce you pour all over your pulled pork. And that's certainly noble.
But there is, in fact, a division between North Carolina and South Carolina barbecue sauce. What we call "Carolina" barbecue sauce is typical of North Carolina.
South Carolina has its own barbecue sauce, and there's a world of difference.
On the back roads of South Carolina, you'll find a savory yellow-mustard-and-vinegar sauce speckled with flecks of pepper and cayenne that stands in sharp contrast to typical "Carolina" barbecue sauce.
You can, of course, use it on pulled pork or any other meats that suit your fat-filled fancy. We've even used it on fried or grilled catfish. Pretty damn tasty. Give it a shot.
- 4 cups yellow mustard (two 20-ounce bottles of French's mustard should do the trick)
- 8 ounces of beer (less for thicker sauce, more for thinner sauce)
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 8 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tablespoon cayenne
- 1 Tablespoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
Heat all ingredients in a sauce pan over medium heat and mix well. Cook until sauce just begins to thicken. Serve cool or warm. It will last in the fridge for a long time. Makes about 6 cups.
From our partners
Forearm Shiver: the CHFF Blog
- Super Bowl XLIX Favorites: NFC Likely To Be Super Again In 2014
- Super Bowl XLVIII Most Watched Program In U.S. History
- Super Bowl XLVIII Postgame Stat-Palooza
- CHFF Classic: Russell Wilson NFL's Best Young QB
- Super Bowl XLVIII: Broncos-Seahawks The Statistically Perfect Super Bowl
- Prop-A-Palooza II: Hundreds More Super Bowl XLVIII Prop Bets
- Live From Media Day: Could Seattle D Stop Russell Wilson
- Seattle Seahawks Brash Legion of Boom Proves Real Statistical Deal
- AFC Champion Denver Broncos Betting Season in Review
- NFC Champion Seattle Seahawks Betting Season in Review
Must See Videos