South Carolina barbecue sauce
Cold, Hard Football Facts for Jul 16, 2006
Most of us equate Carolina barbecue sauce with a thin red-vinegar-and-pepper sauce you pour all over your pulled pork. And that's certainly noble.
But there is, in fact, a division between North Carolina and South Carolina barbecue sauce. What we call "Carolina" barbecue sauce is typical of North Carolina.
South Carolina has its own barbecue sauce, and there's a world of difference.
On the back roads of South Carolina, you'll find a savory yellow-mustard-and-vinegar sauce speckled with flecks of pepper and cayenne that stands in sharp contrast to typical "Carolina" barbecue sauce.
You can, of course, use it on pulled pork or any other meats that suit your fat-filled fancy. We've even used it on fried or grilled catfish. Pretty damn tasty. Give it a shot.
- 4 cups yellow mustard (two 20-ounce bottles of French's mustard should do the trick)
- 8 ounces of beer (less for thicker sauce, more for thinner sauce)
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 8 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tablespoon cayenne
- 1 Tablespoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
Heat all ingredients in a sauce pan over medium heat and mix well. Cook until sauce just begins to thicken. Serve cool or warm. It will last in the fridge for a long time. Makes about 6 cups.
From our partners
Forearm Shiver: the CHFF Blog
- FF Champs Radio: Today From 12-2 pm ET
- Saints Top NFL With 6 Quality Wins; 5 Losers With 0 Quality Wins
- Seahawks, Panthers Remain Atop Quality Stats Power Rankings Despite Losses
- Drew Brees: Fastest Player To 50,000 In History
- Cincinnati Dismantles Indianapolis; AFC North Title In Sight
- Lions, Big Runs & Snow - Oh My! Chip's Eagles Overcome Early Woes
- Sad-Sack Houston Texans: The Dumbest Team In Football
- San Francisco 19, Seattle 17: 49ers Serve Notice
- College Football Awards: Regular Season Finale Edition
- Brady on Gronk Injury: "No one feel sorry for us".
Must See Videos