Slideshow: The NFL's 10 Greatest Military Veterans
NFL players, coaches and even owners have a long history of service to the country, from Pat Tillman most notably in recent years to the incredible 1,000 NFLers who served in the military during World War II. It's an incredible number that offers some insight into the incredible size and scope of the greatest conflict in world history.
Here's a quick look at the 10 of the most notable veterans in NFL history, including some of the biggest names in the annals of pro football.
This is not a comprehensive list by any means. And not a "Top 10" in that these are the best or greatest veterans on the list. Just our list of 10 very notable contributors to pro football and to our country. One notable not on this list: Jack Chevigny, the "Forrest Gump" of the gridiron and "larger than life" World War II hero who we wrote about over the summer.
- The Best Johnny Manziel Photo You'll See From Week 16
- Denver Broncos At Cinncinnati Bengals Game Capsule
- NFL 30-Touchdown Club Bigger Than Ever In 2014
- 2014 Stories: J.J. Watt, Antonio Brown & Matt Forte
- Bengals-Steelers Set For Week 17 Finale On Sunday Night Football
- Jaguars Outlast Titans In XFL Classic
- 4th Quarter Pole: Marshawn Lynch, Jamaal Charles December's Best Running Backs
- Patriots & Chargers Dominating December In Recent History
- 2014 NFL Season Player Props
- Vegas Win Totals For Each NFL Team