Slideshow: The NFL's 10 Greatest Military Veterans
NFL players, coaches and even owners have a long history of service to the country, from Pat Tillman most notably in recent years to the incredible 1,000 NFLers who served in the military during World War II. It's an incredible number that offers some insight into the incredible size and scope of the greatest conflict in world history.
Here's a quick look at the 10 of the most notable veterans in NFL history, including some of the biggest names in the annals of pro football.
This is not a comprehensive list by any means. And not a "Top 10" in that these are the best or greatest veterans on the list. Just our list of 10 very notable contributors to pro football and to our country. One notable not on this list: Jack Chevigny, the "Forrest Gump" of the gridiron and "larger than life" World War II hero who we wrote about over the summer.
- The Berger-Bowl Becomes the Bell Show For the Steeler's Win
- Chiefs @ Raiders Thursday Night Preview
- J.J. Watt And Demaryius Thomas Dominating The Competition
- NFC Rookies Making Big Impact In 2014 Season
- Keep The Faith: 20 Teams Since 1990 With Losing Record After Nine Games Have Made Playoffs
- Tony Romo Now 25-5 All Time In November
- Pro Football's Battlefield Heroes
- No Surprise: NFL Teams On Pace To Score Most Points In History
- 2014 NFL Season Player Props
- Vegas Win Totals For Each NFL Team