Slideshow: The NFL's 10 Greatest Military Veterans
NFL players, coaches and even owners have a long history of service to the country, from Pat Tillman most notably in recent years to the incredible 1,000 NFLers who served in the military during World War II. It's an incredible number that offers some insight into the incredible size and scope of the greatest conflict in world history.
Here's a quick look at the 10 of the most notable veterans in NFL history, including some of the biggest names in the annals of pro football.
This is not a comprehensive list by any means. And not a "Top 10" in that these are the best or greatest veterans on the list. Just our list of 10 very notable contributors to pro football and to our country. One notable not on this list: Jack Chevigny, the "Forrest Gump" of the gridiron and "larger than life" World War II hero who we wrote about over the summer.
- Former Bears WR David Terrell Says He'd Cut Off His Balls To Play W Jay Cutler
- Roger Goodell Defends Redskins Name In Letter To Congress
- Video: Pat Imig's FN NFL Update June 09
- Chuck Norris: 'Clutch' Tim Tebow An 'Athletic Warrior'
- Congress Wants The Redskins To Change Name - I Want Congress To Change Its Name
- NFL Today: The Golden Age Of The Ground Game
- Wes Welker Excited About "Freedom" In Denver
- The 5.0 Club: Best Rushing Teams in NFL History
- Sieves: The Worst Run Defenses In NFL History
- 2013 NFL Schedule: The Year Of The Denver Broncos
- Monsters of the Midway: We Need The Chicago Bears More Than Ever
- The 100 Stingiest Defenses In Football History
- NFL Crown Rule: Will It Dethrone Rushing King Adrian Peterson?
- Big Tease: 2012 New England Patriots And NFL's History Of Offensive Failures
- Epic Fail: The Wide Receiver Draft Class Of 2012