Sieves: The Worst Run Defenses In NFL History
It's never been easier to run the ball in the NFL, as we reported this week in our look at The Golden Age of the Ground Game.
Conversely, it's never been tougher to play run defense. The 2012 season alone gave us two of the 15 worst run defenses in NFL history, the Saints (5.16 YPA) and Colts (5.14 YPA).
The 2011 Raiders, Buccaneers and Lions also make the short list of teams in NFL history that allowed greater than 5.0 YPA on the ground.
The Saints nearly made the list two years in a row, surrendering 4.95 YPA in 2011. We reported on the historic defensive woes for the New Orleans Saints earlier this week, including history's first 7,000-yard defense.
You can also get a list of the greatest rushing offenses in NFL history right here.
The 5.0 Club: Worst Run Defenses in NFL History
|1||1934 Cincinnati Reds||0-8||255||1,631||6.4|
|2||1950 N.Y. Yanks||7-5||434||2,445||5.63|
|8||1965 Oilers (AFL)||4-10||507||2,683||5.29|
|18||1961 Raiders (AFL)||1-13||478||2,440||5.1|
|20||1969 Bengals (AFL)||4-9-1||523||2,651||5.069|
- Quality Stats Super Bowl Breakdown: Patriots vs Seahawks
- Super Bowl XLIX Prop Bets: Full List
- Super Bowl 49 Game Capsule: Patriots @ Seahawks
- Awesome: Must-see Super Bowl Hall of Shame Infographic
- Referee Bill Vinovich Gets The Nod For Super Bowl 49 -- Balls
- 2014 NFL Divisional Playoffs Most-Watched Evah!
- CHFF's Pat Imig Talks Stan Kroenke & The Rams on Sportsnet 590 Toronto
- NFL 2014 Playoff Seeds and Schedule
- Cold Hard Football Facts Quality Stats: Perfect 4-0 In Wild Card Weekend
- Vegas Win Totals For Each NFL Team