Shula's steak seasoning
Cold, Hard Football Facts for Jun 26, 2007
The legendary Don Shula runs a chain of steakhouses around the country that are pretty damn good.
Actually, his son David runs the business, but Don Shula's image is the one on the marquee. After all, Dad won a few more games than David (328 to 19 for those of you keeping score at home).
The Chief Troll had the pleasure of meeting Don and Dave in 2007, when they opened their steakhouse in Providence, Rhode Island. Great guys. Great restaurant. That's a picture of Kerry and Don together. Yes, Kerry is twice the width of Shula. But fret not: he's fairly certain the elderly (and still well-built) Shula would kick his chubby man boobs six ways to Sunday, much like he kicked ass on the coaching fraternity for 33 seasons. (Don't forget, Shula played DB in the NFL for seven seasons. Kerry played one season of varsity high school football. So they have that in common.)
Fortunately, our Chief Troll's ass was not kicked. In fact, the Shulas showed quite a bit of mercy on this lard-soaked soul: they were kind enough to share a bunch of recipes with us. Here's a basic one for their house seasoning salt.
REMEMBER: Thou shalt never grill steak without first rubbing a little seasoning on it. It helps give the steak a nice charred outer edge that locks in flavor. A lot of chefs swear by good old kosher salt and pepper. And you can't go wrong with S&P (or S&M, but that's another column). But virtually any combination of salt and other spices will work.
This is how it's done, Shula style:
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 4 teaspoons ground white pepper
- 4 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 2 teaspoons thyme
Combine all ingredients and mix well. Rub on room-temperature steaks just before grilling. Store unused portion in airtight container. Makes about 2 cups
Forearm Shiver: the CHFF Blog
- Hockey Announcer Gone Wild: You Want To Party (Maybe) With This Guy
- Best Pass Defense Ever: Ronde Barber And The 2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Reese Witherspoon Arrest Video: Hot, Bothered And Handcuffed
- Sam Adams In A Can, Just In Time For Summer Drinking Season
- Live From Radio City: Reporter Punks NFL Draft Fans
- The 5.0 Club: Best Rushing Teams in NFL History
- Sieves: The Worst Run Defenses In NFL History
- Monsters of the Midway: We Need The Chicago Bears More Than Ever
- Boston, Sports, Patriotism And Terror
- The 100 Stingiest Defenses In Football History
- NFL Crown Rule: Will It Dethrone Rushing King Adrian Peterson?
- Year Of The Offensive Tackle: Not Always The 'Safe' Draft Bet
- Draft Habits: NFL Teams Covet LBs, Duped By False Temptress WRs
- Big Tease: 2012 New England Patriots And NFL's History Of Offensive Failures
- Epic Fail: The Wide Receiver Draft Class Of 2012
Must See Videos