Reader recipe: sausage-coated, deep-fried eggs
Cold, Hard Football Facts for Oct 05, 2007
We got this recipe recently from a Steelers fan named Patrick Fox, who apparently really, really gets us. As a result, we've made him an honorary member of the 225 Club. We're sure his mom is proud.
"I was looking through the food sections on your site and noticed a glaring omission in the tailgate breakfast section: Scotch eggs. They're hard-boiled eggs coated in sausage and deep fried."
Say no more, Patrick. You had us at "coated in sausage."
He said he got this recipe from britainexpress.com. We haven't made them yet and can't vouch for them, but they sound pretty damn tasty. If you make 'em, let us know how they come out.
"Not very elaborate, but very, very, good," writes Patrick. "By the way, you have an awesome site. Go Steelers!"
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, well chilled
- 1 pound bulk breakfast sausage
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup fine bread crumbs
- Vegetable oil for frying
Heat oil in a sturdy frying pot to 350 degrees. Peel eggs and set aside. Divide sausage into 6 portions. Roll each egg in flour and with hands press a portion of the sausage around each egg.
Dip sausage-wrapped eggs into beaten eggs and roll in bread crumbs.
Cook each egg in oil about 4-5 minutes or until sausage is cooked and browned. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm. Or, for a proper English experience, serve them cold.
From our partners
Forearm Shiver: the CHFF Blog
- Super Bowl XLIX Favorites: NFC Likely To Be Super Again In 2014
- Super Bowl XLVIII Most Watched Program In U.S. History
- Super Bowl XLVIII Postgame Stat-Palooza
- CHFF Classic: Russell Wilson NFL's Best Young QB
- Super Bowl XLVIII: Broncos-Seahawks The Statistically Perfect Super Bowl
- Prop-A-Palooza II: Hundreds More Super Bowl XLVIII Prop Bets
- Live From Media Day: Could Seattle D Stop Russell Wilson
- Seattle Seahawks Brash Legion of Boom Proves Real Statistical Deal
- AFC Champion Denver Broncos Betting Season in Review
- NFC Champion Seattle Seahawks Betting Season in Review
Must See Videos