Pro football's battlefield heroes
Here on Memorial Day weekend, we want to pay tribute to those men who excelled on the football field and then gave their lives on the battlefield.
Hero of Iwo Jima: Jack Chevigny – Cardinals coach and Notre Dame legend who scored winning TD in "Win one for the Gipper" game; killed in Iwo.
Hero of Iwo Jima: Howard "Smiley" Johnson – Green Bay Packers end honored for heroism in two World War II battles; killed on Iwo.
Pro Football Hall of Fame list of WWII veterans – 995 members of the NFL served in the military in World War II, including some of the biggest names in the history of the game.
Pro Football Hall of Fame list of Korean War veterans – 200 members of the NFL served in the military in the Korean War, including Hall of Famers such as Ollie Matson and Night Train Lane.
- A Legacy Examined: Mike Shanahan, Mastermind
- NFL Games Averaging More Total Yards Than Ever
- Saints Top NFL With 6 Quality Wins; 5 Losers With 0 Quality Wins
- Seahawks, Panthers Remain Atop Quality Stats Power Rankings Despite Losses
- Drew Brees: Fastest Player To 50,000 In History
- Cincinnati Dismantles Indianapolis; AFC North Title In Sight
- Sad-Sack Houston Texans: The Dumbest Team In Football
- San Francisco 19, Seattle 17: 49ers Serve Notice
- Wintry Images: Cinematic Snow Blankets NFL Week 14 Schedule
- Cold Hard Autopsy: Gary Kubiak And The Houston Texans