Cold, Hard Football Facts for Dec 27, 2005
Ridiculously Dutch, this takes mashed potatoes and adds them to starched-out turkey filling (also called dressing, stuffing, or ramming, depending on where you're from). Bon voyage, gut-bomb!
- 4 large potatoes
- ½ cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 2 thick stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cups fresh bread cubes
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
Grease a 3-quart baking dish (a cast-iron Dutch oven will work fine, too). Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Peel the potatoes, cut into large chunks and boil until soft enough to mash. Pour out all the water and then mash the potatoes with milk, salt and pepper, remove to large mixing bowl and set aside. Melt the butter in a large skillet. Cook the celery and onion in the butter over medium heat until the celery starts to soften, about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and add to the potatoes.
Saute the bread cubes in the leftover butter; if you need more butter, add it. If you just want more butter, add it. When the bread starts to get crisp, dump it in with the potatoes, add the 2 eggs, more salt and pepper to taste, and mix thoroughly, moving quickly before the eggs cook. Transfer to the greased dish, cover with foil (or cast-iron top for Dutch oven), and bake for 45 minutes.
Serve as a side to turkey or pork or any dish that calls for a filling filler.
From our partners
Forearm Shiver: the CHFF Blog
- FF Champs Radio: Today From 12-2 pm ET
- Saints Top NFL With 6 Quality Wins; 5 Losers With 0 Quality Wins
- Seahawks, Panthers Remain Atop Quality Stats Power Rankings Despite Losses
- Drew Brees: Fastest Player To 50,000 In History
- Cincinnati Dismantles Indianapolis; AFC North Title In Sight
- Lions, Big Runs & Snow - Oh My! Chip's Eagles Overcome Early Woes
- Sad-Sack Houston Texans: The Dumbest Team In Football
- San Francisco 19, Seattle 17: 49ers Serve Notice
- College Football Awards: Regular Season Finale Edition
- Brady on Gronk Injury: "No one feel sorry for us".
Must See Videos