Cold, Hard Football Facts for Dec 27, 2005
Ridiculously Dutch, this takes mashed potatoes and adds them to starched-out turkey filling (also called dressing, stuffing, or ramming, depending on where you're from). Bon voyage, gut-bomb!
- 4 large potatoes
- ½ cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 2 thick stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cups fresh bread cubes
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
Grease a 3-quart baking dish (a cast-iron Dutch oven will work fine, too). Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Peel the potatoes, cut into large chunks and boil until soft enough to mash. Pour out all the water and then mash the potatoes with milk, salt and pepper, remove to large mixing bowl and set aside. Melt the butter in a large skillet. Cook the celery and onion in the butter over medium heat until the celery starts to soften, about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and add to the potatoes.
Saute the bread cubes in the leftover butter; if you need more butter, add it. If you just want more butter, add it. When the bread starts to get crisp, dump it in with the potatoes, add the 2 eggs, more salt and pepper to taste, and mix thoroughly, moving quickly before the eggs cook. Transfer to the greased dish, cover with foil (or cast-iron top for Dutch oven), and bake for 45 minutes.
Serve as a side to turkey or pork or any dish that calls for a filling filler.
Forearm Shiver: the CHFF Blog
- Former Bears WR David Terrell Says He'd Cut Off His Balls To Play W Jay Cutler
- Roger Goodell Defends Redskins Name In Letter To Congress
- Video: Pat Imig's FN NFL Update June 09
- Chuck Norris: 'Clutch' Tim Tebow An 'Athletic Warrior'
- Congress Wants The Redskins To Change Name - I Want Congress To Change Its Name
- NFL Today: The Golden Age Of The Ground Game
- Wes Welker Excited About "Freedom" In Denver
- The 5.0 Club: Best Rushing Teams in NFL History
- Sieves: The Worst Run Defenses In NFL History
- 2013 NFL Schedule: The Year Of The Denver Broncos
- Monsters of the Midway: We Need The Chicago Bears More Than Ever
- The 100 Stingiest Defenses In Football History
- NFL Crown Rule: Will It Dethrone Rushing King Adrian Peterson?
- Big Tease: 2012 New England Patriots And NFL's History Of Offensive Failures
- Epic Fail: The Wide Receiver Draft Class Of 2012
Must See Videos