Patriots-Giants most watched regular-season game in 12 years
Cold, Hard Football Facts for Dec 30, 2007
The historic Patriots-Giants game Saturday night was the most widely watched NFL regular-season game in more than 12 years, accoring to the league and Nielsen Media Research.
An average of 34.5 million viewers tuned into the game, the most since 35.7 million watched the Chiefs-Cowboys on Thanksgiving Day 1995.
Patriots-Giants earned a 24.0 rating/40 share in the New York media market and a boisterous 50.1 rating/75 share in the Boston media market. Three of every four TVs in the Boston market that were on were tuned to the game.
The top four programs of the current TV season (which began in September) all included the Patriots in their quest to go 16-0.
Most watched programs of Fall 2007 season:
- Patriots-Giants (Dec. 29) – 34.5 million
- Patriots-Colts (Nov. 4) – 33.8 million
- Steelers-Patriots (Dec. 9) – 30.3 million
- Patriots-Cowboys (Oct. 14) – 29.1 million
- CSI season premiere (Sept. 27) – 25.4 million
Key football events, naturally, dominated American television throughout 2007, accordinig to the Nielsen and NFL numbers.
Most-watched programs of 2007
- Super Bowl XLII, Colts-Bears (Feb. 4) – 93.2 million
- AFC title game, Patriots-Colts (Jan. 21) – 46.7 million
- NFC title game, Saints-Bears (Jan. 21) – 43.2 million
- Academy Awards (Feb. 25) – 40.2 million
- American Idol season premiere (Jan. 16) – 37.4 million
- American Idol premiere week (Jan. 17) – 36.9 million
- Patriots Giants (Dec. 29) – 34.5 million
From our partners
- Play Fantasy Football in Seconds with Fantasy Spin Quick Pick
- Week 12 Quality Stats Breakdown: Vikings-Falcons
- Steelers-Seahawks tight statistical showdown
- Patriots, Panthers Have Each Faced Just 1 Quality Opponent
- New England Heads to Denver Dominant in Quality Stats Battle
- Cardinals, Patriots Top 2 in Mother of All Stats, Passer Rating Differential
- Super Bowl XLIX Prop Bets: Full List
- Super Bowl 49 Game Capsule: Patriots @ Seahawks
- Awesome: Must-see Super Bowl Hall of Shame Infographic
- Referee Bill Vinovich Gets The Nod For Super Bowl 49 -- Balls