Our pick: Tennessee vs. Pittsburgh
Cold, Hard Football Facts for Sep 09, 2009
Hey, there's a game tonight!
About time – it's been 221 days since the last NFL contest flickered across our grainy old black & white. We think it was on right after the Ed Sullivan Show. That was well more than half a year ago, at least on the Gregorian calendar, for those of you keeping score at home.
So let's get to it.
We'll be publishing quick picks throughout the years. Here's a look at tonight's contest.
Tennessee at Pittsburgh (-5.5)
We said earlier that this game is a d*ck-measuring contest in the AFC: the league's best team in the 2008 regular season vs. the Super Bowl champs. But that was then. This is now.
We're fairly confident the Steelers can live up to the regular-season standards of 2008 (the playoffs might prove to be a different story). But we don't believe the Titans can live up to the standards of 2008. Specifically, we believe Collins was not a champion-caliber quarterback last year and probably won't be again this year. Plus, the Tennessee defense will not be as good as it was last year.
However, it's worth noting that Collins was great against Pittsburgh last December. The Titans dominated the game, 31-14, while Collins completed 20 of 29 passes (69.0%) for 215 yards, 7.4 YPA, 1 TD, 0 INT and a 101.9 passer rating. It was probably his best game of the year, especially considering the quality of Pittsburgh's pass defense.
In fact, it was Pittsburgh's only blemish over the final 10 games of the year. But
we see a different outcome this time around.
Pittsburgh 24, Tennessee 20
From our partners
- Jaguars Outlast Titans In XFL Classic
- NFL Week 16 Game Capsules
- Jeremy Hill & ODB Setting Rookie Records While Veterans Fitzgerald, Smith & Wayne Make History
- Comebacks, Touchdowns and Yards Galore: NFL 2014
- Saints at Bears And a Bizarre Playoff Race
- 4th Quarter Pole: Marshawn Lynch, Jamaal Charles December's Best Running Backs
- Patriots & Chargers Dominating December In Recent History
- Quality Stats Six Pack: Game-Changers Down the Stretch
- 2014 NFL Season Player Props
- Vegas Win Totals For Each NFL Team