Men of substance
Cold, Hard Football Facts for Aug 30, 2005
By Cold, Hard Football Facts senior writer John Dudley
Amid the "hackedelic" haze of media-driven perception, the Cold, Hard Football Facts always provide a sobering dose of reality. This is equally true when we tackle the touchy subject of drugs and alcohol. While substance-abuse suspensions and allegations continue to haunt other professional athletes, from Rafael Palmeiro to Lance Armstrong, the transgressions of football stars have often been overlooked or quickly forgotten.
But we remember them well. In fact, we thought we could build a star-studded team consisting only of those who have been busted for substance abuse. And now we have.
Assembling the best NFL players who inject, ingest, inhale and otherwise indulge, we boldly present the All-User Team, our Substance Abuse All-Stars. Every member was at least in a training camp last year, and the majority of them are currently active. (Non-starters on our team are denoted with an asterisk.)
Friday, Aug. 26: wide receivers
Monday, Aug. 29: quarterbacks, tight end and offensive line
Wednesday, Aug. 31: running backs
Friday, Sept. 2: defensive line
Monday, Sept. 5: linebackers
Wednesday, Sept. 7: defensive backs
???: the All-Century All-User Team
Forearm Shiver: the CHFF Blog
- Aaron Hernandez Quizzed In Death Probe: Tough Week To Be Patriots Tight End
- Former Bears WR David Terrell Says He'd Cut Off His Balls To Play W Jay Cutler
- Roger Goodell Defends Redskins Name In Letter To Congress
- Video: Pat Imig's FN NFL Update June 09
- Chuck Norris: 'Clutch' Tim Tebow An 'Athletic Warrior'
- NFL Today: The Golden Age Of The Ground Game
- Wes Welker Excited About "Freedom" In Denver
- The 5.0 Club: Best Rushing Teams in NFL History
- Sieves: The Worst Run Defenses In NFL History
- 2013 NFL Schedule: The Year Of The Denver Broncos
- Monsters of the Midway: We Need The Chicago Bears More Than Ever
- The 100 Stingiest Defenses In Football History
- NFL Crown Rule: Will It Dethrone Rushing King Adrian Peterson?
- Big Tease: 2012 New England Patriots And NFL's History Of Offensive Failures
- Real Quarterback Rating Differential: A New Mother Of All Stats?
Must See Videos