Marcelle Bienvenu's jambalaya
Cold, Hard Football Facts for Jan 16, 2007
Jambalaya is a staple of the 225 Club's tailgate diet. We have our own favorite, but jambalayas are like snowflakes: No two are the same, but each one is beautiful.
When we asked our friends at Louisiana Cookin' for a down-home jambalaya recipe, they sent us this one from popular cookbook author Marcelle Bienvenu. Try it next to our jambalaya and see what you think. Or, better yet, have your jambalaya with some crawfish pie and filé gumbo.
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onions
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and julienned
- 1 cup coarsely chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 pound cubed boiled ham
- 1 (16-ounce) can whole tomatoes, crushed with the can juices
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Salt and cayenne pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup long-grain rice, uncooked
- Hot sauce
Heat the butter in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add the onions, bell peppers, celery and garlic. Cook, stirring, until they are soft and lightly golden, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the shrimp and ham. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the shrimp turn pink. Stir in the tomatoes and chicken broth. Season to taste with salt and cayenne. Add the bay leaves and the rice. Cover and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook until the rice is tender and all the liquid is absorbed, about 25 minutes. Remove the bay leaves and serve. Pass the hot sauce!
Serves 4 to 6.
From our partners
Forearm Shiver: the CHFF Blog
- CHFF Flashback: Colin Kaepernick Has Worst QB Performance of 2013
- Patriots Turn It Around With Win Over Minnesota
- Andy Dalton Passes Aaron Rodgers In Record Books
- Quotes From Ravens Fans Who Support Ray Rice
- 2014 NFL Season Player Props
- Cardinals And Chargers: Charting Their Courses After Week 1
- Vegas Win Totals For Each NFL Team
- Best NFL Records Of The Past 10 Years
- Audio: The Cold Hard Football Facts Hosted By Pat Imig
- Groundhog Day: Seattle Dominates Green Bay
Must See Videos