Lew's horseradish mustard
Cold, Hard Football Facts for Aug 02, 2005
Lew has three favorite pastimes, writing, drinking and eating big, flavorful foods. He told us he likes to sit around eating horseradish mustard, so we asked him to share some with us. He did one better: he offered to share the recipe with everyone.
Lew suggests eating the mustard with firm cheese (brick, jack or cheddar), hot or cold sausages, or on ham sandwiches with a good, thick slice of onion.
- 1 cup strong, dark beer (I used Boom Porter)
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 small onion, minced fine
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 Tablespoon dry mustard
- 2/3 cup yellow mustard seed, unground
- 1/3 cup brown mustard seed, unground
- 3 Tablespoons fresh prepared horseradish (coarse is better; I like Violet's, from Hamburg, PA)
Combine all ingredients that are not mustard or horseradish in a small saucepan, heat to just below boiling, and simmer for 15 minutes. Cool the liquid, pour it into a sealable container and add all of the mustards (seeds and dry). Mix well, seal and leave it in a cool, out-of-the-way place for three days (basically, you can leave it anywhere; the kitchen counter would be fine, as long as it's not hot). On the third day, put the mixture in a food processor, add the horseradish, and process the hell out of it for 6 to 8 minutes. If it gets too pasty for your liking, add a couple tablespoons of beer and vinegar in equal proportions. Put the mustard into small jars, and refrigerate for two weeks. Dig in. If the mustard gets too dry, add a little bit of vinegar.
Forearm Shiver: the CHFF Blog
- Aaron Hernandez Quizzed In Death Probe: Tough Week To Be Patriots Tight End
- Former Bears WR David Terrell Says He'd Cut Off His Balls To Play W Jay Cutler
- Roger Goodell Defends Redskins Name In Letter To Congress
- Video: Pat Imig's FN NFL Update June 09
- Chuck Norris: 'Clutch' Tim Tebow An 'Athletic Warrior'
- NFL Today: The Golden Age Of The Ground Game
- Wes Welker Excited About "Freedom" In Denver
- The 5.0 Club: Best Rushing Teams in NFL History
- Sieves: The Worst Run Defenses In NFL History
- 2013 NFL Schedule: The Year Of The Denver Broncos
- Monsters of the Midway: We Need The Chicago Bears More Than Ever
- The 100 Stingiest Defenses In Football History
- NFL Crown Rule: Will It Dethrone Rushing King Adrian Peterson?
- Big Tease: 2012 New England Patriots And NFL's History Of Offensive Failures
- Real Quarterback Rating Differential: A New Mother Of All Stats?
Must See Videos