Cold, Hard Football Facts for Jul 06, 2006
The beauty of being prodigious, self-proclaimed tailgate experts is that people send you nifty books with titles like "A Man, A Can, A Tailgate Plan."
In fact, we received a book of that name just the other day.
"A Man, A Can, A Tailgate Plan" (Rodale, 2006) is presented by Men's Health magazine, so many of the recipes are far healthier than the normal fare offered here in the Kitchen of the 225 Club (in fact, if we had a self-help book or magazine, it would be called something like, "Die of a Heart Attack by Age 40"). Bacon is the foundation of our dishes. This book relies more heavily on things like "vegetables" and ground turkey.
But ... most of the recipes are very, very easy – and quite creative – which make them perfect gameday dishes. All involve simple canned goods you can pick up at any market.
If you can't be bothered dropping $15.95 on the book, here's a sample of one of their recipes for Kickin' Cheeseburgers. Others look pretty nifty, too, such as their Cola Roast – beef cooked in Coke or Pepsi – and their Turkey Joes.
The book also has recipes for snacks, drinks and just about everything else you'd want to cook at a tailgate – from a can with minimal effort.
- 1½ lbs. ground beef
- 1 can (10¾ oz.) Campbell's Cheddar Cheese soup
- 3 Tablespoons canned green chilies, drained
- ½ cup dry bread crumbs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 6 hamburger or bulkie rolls
Fire up grill to medium heat. In a medium bowl, mix ground beef, ½ cup cheese soup, green chilies, bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Mix well. Divide into 6 patties. Grill until cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes per side for medium; 7 to 8 minutes per side for well done. Heat remaining cheese soup and pour on top of burgers.
From our partners
- Saints At Panthers Quality Stats Breakdown
- Kyle Orton Brings The Bubby Back
- Rookie Wide Receivers Making Huge Impact In 2014
- Matt Forte On Pace For Most Receptions By A Running Back In NFL History
- The NFL London Series: Games That Aren't That Great
- Matt Ryan Interception: Worst Of The Season?
- VIDEO: Geno Smith's Three Interceptions In Six Seconds
- VIDEO: JJ Watt Mocks Zach Mettenberger W Sack & Selfie
- 2014 NFL Season Player Props
- Vegas Win Totals For Each NFL Team