Cold, Hard Football Facts for Jul 06, 2006
The beauty of being prodigious, self-proclaimed tailgate experts is that people send you nifty books with titles like "A Man, A Can, A Tailgate Plan."
In fact, we received a book of that name just the other day.
"A Man, A Can, A Tailgate Plan" (Rodale, 2006) is presented by Men's Health magazine, so many of the recipes are far healthier than the normal fare offered here in the Kitchen of the 225 Club (in fact, if we had a self-help book or magazine, it would be called something like, "Die of a Heart Attack by Age 40"). Bacon is the foundation of our dishes. This book relies more heavily on things like "vegetables" and ground turkey.
But ... most of the recipes are very, very easy – and quite creative – which make them perfect gameday dishes. All involve simple canned goods you can pick up at any market.
If you can't be bothered dropping $15.95 on the book, here's a sample of one of their recipes for Kickin' Cheeseburgers. Others look pretty nifty, too, such as their Cola Roast – beef cooked in Coke or Pepsi – and their Turkey Joes.
The book also has recipes for snacks, drinks and just about everything else you'd want to cook at a tailgate – from a can with minimal effort.
- 1½ lbs. ground beef
- 1 can (10¾ oz.) Campbell's Cheddar Cheese soup
- 3 Tablespoons canned green chilies, drained
- ½ cup dry bread crumbs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 6 hamburger or bulkie rolls
Fire up grill to medium heat. In a medium bowl, mix ground beef, ½ cup cheese soup, green chilies, bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Mix well. Divide into 6 patties. Grill until cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes per side for medium; 7 to 8 minutes per side for well done. Heat remaining cheese soup and pour on top of burgers.
From our partners
- Texans Roll Into Pittsburgh And Roll Over For Steelers
- CHFF's Pat Imig Talks NFL Week 7 w the Adam Jones Show on 98.5 The Sports Hub
- NFL Quarterbacks On Pace For Highest Yards Per Attempt Avg In History
- San Diego @ Denver: TNF Preview
- Broncos D Shines On Manning's Night
- Rams QB Austin Davis Is Saving A Fan Base From Apathy
- Dallas Downs New York Giants: 3 Things We Learned
- Quality Stats Six Pack: Weakness for One-Loss Teams
- 2014 NFL Season Player Props
- Vegas Win Totals For Each NFL Team