Cold, Hard Football Facts for Jul 06, 2006
The beauty of being prodigious, self-proclaimed tailgate experts is that people send you nifty books with titles like "A Man, A Can, A Tailgate Plan."
In fact, we received a book of that name just the other day.
"A Man, A Can, A Tailgate Plan" (Rodale, 2006) is presented by Men's Health magazine, so many of the recipes are far healthier than the normal fare offered here in the Kitchen of the 225 Club (in fact, if we had a self-help book or magazine, it would be called something like, "Die of a Heart Attack by Age 40"). Bacon is the foundation of our dishes. This book relies more heavily on things like "vegetables" and ground turkey.
But ... most of the recipes are very, very easy – and quite creative – which make them perfect gameday dishes. All involve simple canned goods you can pick up at any market.
If you can't be bothered dropping $15.95 on the book, here's a sample of one of their recipes for Kickin' Cheeseburgers. Others look pretty nifty, too, such as their Cola Roast – beef cooked in Coke or Pepsi – and their Turkey Joes.
The book also has recipes for snacks, drinks and just about everything else you'd want to cook at a tailgate – from a can with minimal effort.
- 1½ lbs. ground beef
- 1 can (10¾ oz.) Campbell's Cheddar Cheese soup
- 3 Tablespoons canned green chilies, drained
- ½ cup dry bread crumbs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 6 hamburger or bulkie rolls
Fire up grill to medium heat. In a medium bowl, mix ground beef, ½ cup cheese soup, green chilies, bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Mix well. Divide into 6 patties. Grill until cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes per side for medium; 7 to 8 minutes per side for well done. Heat remaining cheese soup and pour on top of burgers.
Forearm Shiver: the CHFF Blog
- Hockey Announcer Gone Wild: You Want To Party (Maybe) With This Guy
- Best Pass Defense Ever: Ronde Barber And The 2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Reese Witherspoon Arrest Video: Hot, Bothered And Handcuffed
- Sam Adams In A Can, Just In Time For Summer Drinking Season
- Live From Radio City: Reporter Punks NFL Draft Fans
- The 5.0 Club: Best Rushing Teams in NFL History
- Sieves: The Worst Run Defenses In NFL History
- 2013 NFL Schedule: The Year Of The Denver Broncos
- Boston, Sports, Patriotism And Terror
- The 100 Stingiest Defenses In Football History
- NFL Crown Rule: Will It Dethrone Rushing King Adrian Peterson?
- Year Of The Offensive Tackle: Not Always The 'Safe' Draft Bet
- Draft Habits: NFL Teams Covet LBs, Duped By False Temptress WRs
- Big Tease: 2012 New England Patriots And NFL's History Of Offensive Failures
- Epic Fail: The Wide Receiver Draft Class Of 2012
Must See Videos