Jim Irsay Suspended Six Games; Fined 500K
Hours after pleading guilty to driving while intoxicated, Commissioner Roger Goodell suspended Colts owner Jim Irsay for six games, fined him $500,000 and banned him from using social media with content regarding his Colts and the league.
"I acknowledge the mistake I made last March and stand responsible for the consequences of that mistake, for which I sincerely apologize to our community and to Colts fans everywhere," Irsay said in a statement released by the Colts.
"Even more importantly, though, I am committed to do everything in my power to turn this whole experience into a positive event for myself, my family, and the community. In retrospect, I now know that the incident opened my eyes to issues in my life that needed addressing and helped put me on the path to regain my health. I truly hope and pray that my episode will help in some small measure to diminish the stigma surrounding our country's terrible and deadly problem of addiction."
As far as the law dictates, Irsay's full sentence includes 60 days to in the Hamilton County (Ind.) jail, according to the Hamilton County Prosecutor's Office. Fifty-eight days of his sentence were suspended, and Irsay was given two days of credit for the one day he served on March 17.
The court imposed costs of $168.50 and a $200 alcohol countermeasure fee, the release states. The court also recommended that Irsay's license be suspended for a period of 90 days.
This is the second time Goodell has intervened in an issue involving an owner. In 2009, former Tennessee Titans owner Bud Adams was caught giving an obscene gesture during and after a game in 2009. Goodell fined Adams, who died in October, $250,000 for conduct detrimental to the NFL.
- Quality Stats Super Bowl Breakdown: Patriots vs Seahawks
- Super Bowl XLIX Prop Bets: Full List
- Super Bowl 49 Game Capsule: Patriots @ Seahawks
- Awesome: Must-see Super Bowl Hall of Shame Infographic
- Referee Bill Vinovich Gets The Nod For Super Bowl 49 -- Balls
- 2014 NFL Divisional Playoffs Most-Watched Evah!
- CHFF's Pat Imig Talks Stan Kroenke & The Rams on Sportsnet 590 Toronto
- NFL 2014 Playoff Seeds and Schedule
- Cold Hard Football Facts Quality Stats: Perfect 4-0 In Wild Card Weekend
- Vegas Win Totals For Each NFL Team