Hot homemade donuts
Cold, Hard Football Facts for Dec 31, 2006
Is there anything better than a big, fat donut? Yes, there is: A big, fat donut you cook yourself at a breakfast tailgate. It's easy to do when you bank on your trusty old deep fryer and the time-honored wisdom of Betty Crocker. Here's how to do it.
You want to make the dough the night or morning before the game. After it's chilled and cut, store the uncooked donuts in single layers on plastic wrap covered with a little flour. Make sure there is flour anywhere the dough touches the plastic wrap, or it may stick.
4 egg yolks or 2 whole eggs
1 cup of sugar
2 Tablespoons soft shortening
¾ buttermilk or sour milk
Sift together and stir in
3½ cups sifted flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon cinnamon
Chill the dough for two or more hours. Roll the dough onto a floured cutting board, to a thickness of one-third to one-half inch (we usually opt for a thicker donut). Cut out donuts with a sharp donut cutter (a carefully used knife will work in a pinch).
Heat oil to 375 to 390 degrees (oil that's not hot enough will create soggy, oily donuts; oil that's too hot will burn donuts on the outside). Gently place dough into hot oil. Turn donuts over as they rise to the surface and begin to show a little brown color. Fry about three more minutes. You'll quickly learn to tell by sight when the donuts are done. The should be perfectly golden-brown color. Remove from the oil with a fry strainer or long fork
To make powdered donuts:
Shake the warm donuts in a brown paper bag filled with confectionary sugar.
To make glazed donuts:
Add one-third cup of boiling water gradually to 1 cup of confectionary sugar. Mix well. Dip warm donuts into the warm glaze.
Forearm Shiver: the CHFF Blog
- Wise Guys: Broncos, Patriots, 49ers Top Expected Win Totals In 2013
- Hockey Announcer Gone Wild: You Want To Party (Maybe) With This Guy
- Best Pass Defense Ever: Ronde Barber And The 2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Reese Witherspoon Arrest Video: Hot, Bothered And Handcuffed
- Sam Adams In A Can, Just In Time For Summer Drinking Season
- 'Cheeseheads' Reality Show Destined To Suck
- The 5.0 Club: Best Rushing Teams in NFL History
- Sieves: The Worst Run Defenses In NFL History
- 2013 NFL Schedule: The Year Of The Denver Broncos
- Boston, Sports, Patriotism And Terror
- Monsters of the Midway: We Need The Chicago Bears More Than Ever
- The 100 Stingiest Defenses In Football History
- NFL Crown Rule: Will It Dethrone Rushing King Adrian Peterson?
- Big Tease: 2012 New England Patriots And NFL's History Of Offensive Failures
- Epic Fail: The Wide Receiver Draft Class Of 2012
Must See Videos