Hog Maw (Roast Pig Stomach)
Cold, Hard Football Facts for Dec 27, 2005
Lew Bryson's Aunt Alice resurrected this old family recipe and, for a while, he had it every Groundhog Day (February 2) – a big day in his neck of the woods in Pennsylvania. Roast pig stomach is also a staple of his annual beer- and meat-fest called "The Hunt."
Be sure to get a pig stomach, not beef stomach (pigs have only one stomach). Where you find it is your own problem, but there's usually a butcher around who will have one.
- 1 pig stomach
- 3 lbs. ground sausage meat (if you make your own, use it)
- 5 large potatoes, peeled and diced to about ½ inch
- 10 carrots, peeled and chopped fine
- 2 large onions, peeled and diced
- 1 Tablespoon poultry seasoning (optional, but Lew loves it)
- Pepper to taste (Pennsylvania Dutchmen use a lot of pepper)
- Apple cider
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove the inner lining of the stomach (if it's not done already) and wash it well. Mix meat, potato, vegetables and seasoning by hand well in a large bowl. Stuff the mixture into the stomach (don't be afraid, it will stretch). Sew up the holes loosely with butcher twine (or don't; Alice did, but it works almost as well without the trouble). Put in a large roasting pan and add ½-inch apple cider (or water) to the pan. Bake for three hours, uncovered. Let sit for 10 minutes, then slice like meatloaf. Serve hot.
From our partners
- Peyton Manning More Prolific Than Previously Thought
- Texans Roll Into Pittsburgh And Roll Over For Steelers
- CHFF's Pat Imig Talks NFL Week 7 w the Adam Jones Show on 98.5 The Sports Hub
- NFL Quarterbacks On Pace For Highest Yards Per Attempt Avg In History
- San Diego & Denver: Experts In Red Zone Offensive Efficiency
- Broncos D Shines On Manning's Night
- Rams QB Austin Davis Is Saving A Fan Base From Apathy
- Quality Stats Six Pack: Weakness for One-Loss Teams
- 2014 NFL Season Player Props
- Vegas Win Totals For Each NFL Team