Hog Maw (Roast Pig Stomach)
Cold, Hard Football Facts for Dec 27, 2005
Lew Bryson's Aunt Alice resurrected this old family recipe and, for a while, he had it every Groundhog Day (February 2) – a big day in his neck of the woods in Pennsylvania. Roast pig stomach is also a staple of his annual beer- and meat-fest called "The Hunt."
Be sure to get a pig stomach, not beef stomach (pigs have only one stomach). Where you find it is your own problem, but there's usually a butcher around who will have one.
- 1 pig stomach
- 3 lbs. ground sausage meat (if you make your own, use it)
- 5 large potatoes, peeled and diced to about ½ inch
- 10 carrots, peeled and chopped fine
- 2 large onions, peeled and diced
- 1 Tablespoon poultry seasoning (optional, but Lew loves it)
- Pepper to taste (Pennsylvania Dutchmen use a lot of pepper)
- Apple cider
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove the inner lining of the stomach (if it's not done already) and wash it well. Mix meat, potato, vegetables and seasoning by hand well in a large bowl. Stuff the mixture into the stomach (don't be afraid, it will stretch). Sew up the holes loosely with butcher twine (or don't; Alice did, but it works almost as well without the trouble). Put in a large roasting pan and add ½-inch apple cider (or water) to the pan. Bake for three hours, uncovered. Let sit for 10 minutes, then slice like meatloaf. Serve hot.
From our partners
- The Berger-Bowl Becomes the Bell Show For the Steeler's Win
- Chiefs @ Raiders Thursday Night Preview
- J.J. Watt And Demaryius Thomas Dominating The Competition
- NFC Rookies Making Big Impact In 2014 Season
- Keep The Faith: 20 Teams Since 1990 With Losing Record After Nine Games Have Made Playoffs
- Tony Romo Now 25-5 All Time In November
- Pro Football's Battlefield Heroes
- No Surprise: NFL Teams On Pace To Score Most Points In History
- 2014 NFL Season Player Props
- Vegas Win Totals For Each NFL Team