Easy tailgate classic: beer-braised short ribs
Cold, Hard Football Facts for Sep 12, 2009
By Kerry J. Byrne
Chubby tailgate maestro
In my "other" life as a food writer, I've collected thousands of recipes over the years. Many of my personal favorites are found here in CHFF's delicious and nutritious tailgate section.
It's only rarely, though, that I make one of these dishes that jumps out not just as a tasty football crowd pleaser, but as one that's incredibly easy to make. These recipes that combine flavor with ease are the best for tailgates, and this one for beer-braised short ribs is high, high on the list in both categories.
The best part is that I just found out that the chef who created it, Christine Todaro, owns a catering business in a football town, Foxboro, Mass. In fact, her company is right there on Route 1, the same road where you'll find Gillette Stadium.
Christine Todaro's Beer-Braised Short Ribs
3½ lbs. meaty short ribs
Salt and pepper
½ lb. carrots, chopped
½ lb. onions, chopped
½ lb celery, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2½ cups of beer
1 8-oz. can crushed tomatoes
2 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
½ teaspoon liquid smoke
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Season the short ribs with plenty of salt and pepper, then set aside. Heat a heavy roasting pan with 3 tablespoons of olive oil over medium high heat. Brown the beef on all sides to seal in the juices, working in batches so that you don't crowd the pan (about 7-10 minutes per batch). Transfer seared ribs to a plate. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the pan, lower heat to medium, and then add carrots, onions, celery and garlic. Saute 7 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add beer, tomatoes, mustard and liquid smoke. Increase heat to high, then nestle the ribs in the sauce. Cover pan tightly with aluminum foil and bake 3½ to 4 hours. Skim off top layer of grease (or don't, it has flavor). Serves 4.
From our partners
- Quality Stats Super Bowl Breakdown: Patriots vs Seahawks
- Super Bowl XLIX Prop Bets: Full List
- Super Bowl 49 Game Capsule: Patriots @ Seahawks
- Awesome: Must-see Super Bowl Hall of Shame Infographic
- Referee Bill Vinovich Gets The Nod For Super Bowl 49 -- Balls
- 2014 NFL Divisional Playoffs Most-Watched Evah!
- CHFF's Pat Imig Talks Stan Kroenke & The Rams on Sportsnet 590 Toronto
- NFL 2014 Playoff Seeds and Schedule
- Cold Hard Football Facts Quality Stats: Perfect 4-0 In Wild Card Weekend
- Vegas Win Totals For Each NFL Team