Easy tailgate classic: beer-braised short ribs
Cold, Hard Football Facts for Sep 12, 2009
By Kerry J. Byrne
Chubby tailgate maestro
In my "other" life as a food writer, I've collected thousands of recipes over the years. Many of my personal favorites are found here in CHFF's delicious and nutritious tailgate section.
It's only rarely, though, that I make one of these dishes that jumps out not just as a tasty football crowd pleaser, but as one that's incredibly easy to make. These recipes that combine flavor with ease are the best for tailgates, and this one for beer-braised short ribs is high, high on the list in both categories.
The best part is that I just found out that the chef who created it, Christine Todaro, owns a catering business in a football town, Foxboro, Mass. In fact, her company is right there on Route 1, the same road where you'll find Gillette Stadium.
Christine Todaro's Beer-Braised Short Ribs
3½ lbs. meaty short ribs
Salt and pepper
½ lb. carrots, chopped
½ lb. onions, chopped
½ lb celery, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2½ cups of beer
1 8-oz. can crushed tomatoes
2 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
½ teaspoon liquid smoke
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Season the short ribs with plenty of salt and pepper, then set aside. Heat a heavy roasting pan with 3 tablespoons of olive oil over medium high heat. Brown the beef on all sides to seal in the juices, working in batches so that you don't crowd the pan (about 7-10 minutes per batch). Transfer seared ribs to a plate. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the pan, lower heat to medium, and then add carrots, onions, celery and garlic. Saute 7 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add beer, tomatoes, mustard and liquid smoke. Increase heat to high, then nestle the ribs in the sauce. Cover pan tightly with aluminum foil and bake 3½ to 4 hours. Skim off top layer of grease (or don't, it has flavor). Serves 4.
Forearm Shiver: the CHFF Blog
- Hockey Announcer Gone Wild: You Want To Party (Maybe) With This Guy
- Best Pass Defense Ever: Ronde Barber And The 2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Reese Witherspoon Arrest Video: Hot, Bothered And Handcuffed
- Sam Adams In A Can, Just In Time For Summer Drinking Season
- Live From Radio City: Reporter Punks NFL Draft Fans
- The 5.0 Club: Best Rushing Teams in NFL History
- Sieves: The Worst Run Defenses In NFL History
- Monsters of the Midway: We Need The Chicago Bears More Than Ever
- Boston, Sports, Patriotism And Terror
- The 100 Stingiest Defenses In Football History
- NFL Crown Rule: Will It Dethrone Rushing King Adrian Peterson?
- Year Of The Offensive Tackle: Not Always The 'Safe' Draft Bet
- Draft Habits: NFL Teams Covet LBs, Duped By False Temptress WRs
- Big Tease: 2012 New England Patriots And NFL's History Of Offensive Failures
- Epic Fail: The Wide Receiver Draft Class Of 2012
Must See Videos