Derek Carr To Start For Raiders
It wasn't how they drew it up, but the Oakland Raiders have found their 18th starting quarterback since the 2003 season. Ironically, Derek Carr replaces Matt Schaub, who replaced his brother David Carr in Houston.
Raiders head coach Dennis Allen:
"We've seen signs of Derek Carr's development from the day he stepped on campus here to where he is at right now. We've seen him grow by leaps and bounds and I think he's ready to accept the challenge."
"It's not an indictment on Matt Schaub at all," Allen told reporters. "I feel very confident in Matt Schaub. I think it says more about we feel Derek Carr is in his progression."
One man who isn't surprised is Oakland's newest wide receiver James Jones. The former Packers wideout said, "It didn't surprise me at all. I've been calling him baby A-Rod (Rodgers' nickname) since he got here."
This marks the second striaght year a veteran quarterback brought in by GM Reggie McKenzie will ride the bench at the start of the season. It was Matt Flynn who was replaced by Terrelle Pryor in 2013.
Pryor is looking for a job after being cut by Seattle.
As for Carr, he is the 8th different quarterback to start Week 1 for Oakland in the last 10 seasons.
He is also the first rookie to start the opening game of the season in Raiders history.
- Quality Stats Super Bowl Breakdown: Patriots vs Seahawks
- Super Bowl XLIX Prop Bets: Full List
- Super Bowl 49 Game Capsule: Patriots @ Seahawks
- Awesome: Must-see Super Bowl Hall of Shame Infographic
- Referee Bill Vinovich Gets The Nod For Super Bowl 49 -- Balls
- 2014 NFL Divisional Playoffs Most-Watched Evah!
- CHFF's Pat Imig Talks Stan Kroenke & The Rams on Sportsnet 590 Toronto
- NFL 2014 Playoff Seeds and Schedule
- Cold Hard Football Facts Quality Stats: Perfect 4-0 In Wild Card Weekend
- Vegas Win Totals For Each NFL Team