Denver Broncos, Kansas City Chiefs Rekindle Memories of NFL's Western Division
From NFL Media Services ...
A look at seven statistical highlights from games played at 1:00 p.m. ET and 4:00 p.m. ET on Sunday, October 13, the sixth week of the 2013 season.
- The DENVER BRONCOS and KANSAS CITY CHIEFS both improved to 6-0. Since 1990, when the 12-team playoff format was adopted, 27 of the 29 (93.1 percent) previous teams to start 6-0 made the playoffs.
The Broncos won 35-19 over Jacksonville and the Chiefs defeated Oakland 24-7.
With Denver and Kansas City both leading the AFC West at 6-0, this is only the second time since the divisional structure was implemented in 1933 that two teams in the same division started 6-0. In 1934, the Detroit Lions and Chicago Bears, then members of the NFL’s Western Division, each started 10-0.
- Denver quarterback PEYTON MANNING passed for 295 yards and two touchdowns in the Broncos’ win. Manning has 22 touchdown passes this season, the most through the first six games in NFL history.
Manning improved his career regular-season record to 160-70 and is only the second quarterback in NFL history to be at least 90 games over .500. New England’s TOM BRADY, who led the Patriots to a victory over New Orleans, is an NFL-best 101 games over .500 (141-40).
The Broncos have scored 265 points, the most by a team through the first six games of a season in NFL history.
- New England quarterback TOM BRADY threw the game-winning touchdown pass to KENBRELL THOMPKINS with five seconds remaining in the Patriots’ 30-27 come-from-behind victory over the Saints. Brady has 342 career touchdown passes and tied Pro Football Hall of Famer FRAN TARKENTON for the fourth-most in NFL history.
- The PHILADELPHIA EAGLES gained 425 total yards in today’s 31-20 win at Tampa Bay. The Eagles are one of four teams in NFL history to gain at least 400 yards in each of its first six games joining this season’s Denver Broncos, the 2007 New England Patriots and the 1983 San Diego Chargers. This is the first time in NFL history in which two teams have accomplished the feat in the same season.
This season, Philadelphia has gained 1,628 net passing yards and 1,071 rushing yards. The Eagles are the only team since the 1970 merger to gain at least 1,600 net passing yards and 1,050 rushing yards through the first six games of a season.
- Carolina quarterback CAM NEWTON passed for three touchdowns and rushed for one TD in the Panthers’ 35-10 win at Minnesota. Since entering the NFL in 2011, Newton has three games with at least three passing touchdowns and a rushing TD. He joins DAUNTE CULPEPPER as the only players in the Super Bowl era to have three such games in their first three seasons.
- St. Louis rookie linebacker ALEC OGLETREE had a 98-yard interception-return touchdown in the Rams’ 38-13 win at Houston. That is tied for the longest interception-return touchdown in the regular season by a linebacker in NFL history and the longest ever by a rookie linebacker. Tampa Bay linebacker SHELTON QUARLES had a 98-yard interception-return touchdown against Green Bay on October 7, 2001.
- Green Bay rookie running back EDDIE LACY rushed for a career-high 120 yards in the Packers’ 19-17 win at Baltimore. Lacy, who rushed for 99 yards last week in a win over Detroit, is the first Packers rookie since JOHN BROCKINGTON in 1971 to rush for at least 99 yards in consecutive games.
The Packers have had a rookie rush for at least 99 yards in three consecutive games for the first time since 1971 when Brockington had three 99+ yard rushing games in a row(Weeks 7-9). This season, JOHNATHAN FRANKLIN (103 yards in Week 3) and Lacy (99 yards in Week 5, 120 yards in Week 6) accomplished the feat (Green Bay had a bye in Week 4).
- Jaguars Outlast Titans In XFL Classic
- NFL Week 16 Game Capsules
- Jeremy Hill & ODB Setting Rookie Records While Veterans Fitzgerald, Smith & Wayne Make History
- Comebacks, Touchdowns and Yards Galore: NFL 2014
- Saints at Bears And a Bizarre Playoff Race
- 4th Quarter Pole: Marshawn Lynch, Jamaal Charles December's Best Running Backs
- Patriots & Chargers Dominating December In Recent History
- Quality Stats Six Pack: Game-Changers Down the Stretch
- 2014 NFL Season Player Props
- Vegas Win Totals For Each NFL Team