Chicken & waffles (PA Dutch style)
Cold, Hard Football Facts for Dec 27, 2005
This is not the fried chicken and waffles popular in place like Harlem or Memphis. This is chicken gravy full of cut-up chicken, poured right onto your waffles. Cold, Hard Football Facts sud stud Lew Bryson ate it many winter nights as a boy in Pennsylvania Dutch country and calls it "some seriously filling food and good beer ballast."
- 4 whole chicken breasts, skinned
- 1 quart water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 thick celery stalk, cut into four or five pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
Put chicken, water, onion, celery, salt and pepper in a large stock pot. Bring to a boil and cook until chicken is done (it should boil for about 5 to 10 minutes). Remove the chicken to cool. Strain the broth (don't get carried away, just put it through a screen strainer to get out the big chunks of celery and chicken snot). Bring the broth to a slow boil. Slowly add Wondra to the broth and stir so that it won't make lumps. When the gravy starts to thicken, cut back the heat and keep stirring. When it's nice and thick, turn off the heat then strip the chicken off the bones. Chop chicken into ½-inch chunks and add it to the gravy. Stir real well and don't be afraid to break up the chunks.
Make waffles by your favorite recipe, and serve them topped with the hot gravy, peppered heavily. Now you're eating like a Pennsylvania Dutchman.
This can easily be served on gameday. Make everything ahead of time, including the waffles. You can reheat the waffles very quickly on your grill, or by steaming them over a little water on your tailgate stove. Reheat the gravy until it's nice and hot and pour over the waffles.
Forearm Shiver: the CHFF Blog
- Wise Guys: Broncos, Patriots, 49ers Top Expected Win Totals In 2013
- Hockey Announcer Gone Wild: You Want To Party (Maybe) With This Guy
- Best Pass Defense Ever: Ronde Barber And The 2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Reese Witherspoon Arrest Video: Hot, Bothered And Handcuffed
- Sam Adams In A Can, Just In Time For Summer Drinking Season
- 'Cheeseheads' Reality Show Destined To Suck
- The 5.0 Club: Best Rushing Teams in NFL History
- Sieves: The Worst Run Defenses In NFL History
- 2013 NFL Schedule: The Year Of The Denver Broncos
- Boston, Sports, Patriotism And Terror
- Monsters of the Midway: We Need The Chicago Bears More Than Ever
- The 100 Stingiest Defenses In Football History
- NFL Crown Rule: Will It Dethrone Rushing King Adrian Peterson?
- Big Tease: 2012 New England Patriots And NFL's History Of Offensive Failures
- Epic Fail: The Wide Receiver Draft Class Of 2012
Must See Videos