Chicken & waffles (PA Dutch style)
Cold, Hard Football Facts for Dec 27, 2005
This is not the fried chicken and waffles popular in place like Harlem or Memphis. This is chicken gravy full of cut-up chicken, poured right onto your waffles. Cold, Hard Football Facts sud stud Lew Bryson ate it many winter nights as a boy in Pennsylvania Dutch country and calls it "some seriously filling food and good beer ballast."
- 4 whole chicken breasts, skinned
- 1 quart water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 thick celery stalk, cut into four or five pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
Put chicken, water, onion, celery, salt and pepper in a large stock pot. Bring to a boil and cook until chicken is done (it should boil for about 5 to 10 minutes). Remove the chicken to cool. Strain the broth (don't get carried away, just put it through a screen strainer to get out the big chunks of celery and chicken snot). Bring the broth to a slow boil. Slowly add Wondra to the broth and stir so that it won't make lumps. When the gravy starts to thicken, cut back the heat and keep stirring. When it's nice and thick, turn off the heat then strip the chicken off the bones. Chop chicken into ½-inch chunks and add it to the gravy. Stir real well and don't be afraid to break up the chunks.
Make waffles by your favorite recipe, and serve them topped with the hot gravy, peppered heavily. Now you're eating like a Pennsylvania Dutchman.
This can easily be served on gameday. Make everything ahead of time, including the waffles. You can reheat the waffles very quickly on your grill, or by steaming them over a little water on your tailgate stove. Reheat the gravy until it's nice and hot and pour over the waffles.
From our partners
- Quality Stats Super Bowl Breakdown: Patriots vs Seahawks
- Super Bowl XLIX Prop Bets: Full List
- Super Bowl 49 Game Capsule: Patriots @ Seahawks
- Awesome: Must-see Super Bowl Hall of Shame Infographic
- Referee Bill Vinovich Gets The Nod For Super Bowl 49 -- Balls
- 2014 NFL Divisional Playoffs Most-Watched Evah!
- CHFF's Pat Imig Talks Stan Kroenke & The Rams on Sportsnet 590 Toronto
- NFL 2014 Playoff Seeds and Schedule
- Cold Hard Football Facts Quality Stats: Perfect 4-0 In Wild Card Weekend
- Vegas Win Totals For Each NFL Team