Bookies win big ($64M big) following blown call at end of SD-Pitt game
Cold, Hard Football Facts for Nov 16, 2008
This story came to us from alert reader Rick Stoppe, through a press release sent to him and attributed to R.J. Bell of something called Pregame.com.
Apparently, bettors lost about $64 million thanks to an errant officials' decision at the end of the San Diego-Pittsburgh game.
The Chargers, trailing 11-10 on the last play of the game, attempted a number of laterals in the hopes of scoring a freak TD from deep within Pittsburgh territory. But Steelers DB Troy Polamalu pounced on the ball and raced into the end zone for an apparent TD as time expired.
However officials ruled an illegal forward pass against the Chargers and took the TD off the board. Game over.
After the game, officials said they made a mistake.
The mistake didn't change the outcome of the game. But it did change the outcome for millions of gamblers, according to Bell. The Steelers, 5-point favorites, won 11-10 instead of 17-10.
"An estimated 100 million dollars was wagered worldwide on the Pittsburgh/San Diego game. Approximately 66 percent of that money was on the Steelers; with only 34 percent on the Chargers," said Bell.
"If the touchdown was properly upheld, Steelers bettors would have won about 32 million dollars instead of losing big. This admittedly incorrect call resulted in a 64 million dollar swing in favor of the bookies."
From our partners
Forearm Shiver: the CHFF Blog
- Super Bowl XLIX Favorites: NFC Likely To Be Super Again In 2014
- Super Bowl XLVIII Most Watched Program In U.S. History
- Super Bowl XLVIII Postgame Stat-Palooza
- CHFF Classic: Russell Wilson NFL's Best Young QB
- Super Bowl XLVIII: Broncos-Seahawks The Statistically Perfect Super Bowl
- Prop-A-Palooza II: Hundreds More Super Bowl XLVIII Prop Bets
- Live From Media Day: Could Seattle D Stop Russell Wilson
- Seattle Seahawks Brash Legion of Boom Proves Real Statistical Deal
- AFC Champion Denver Broncos Betting Season in Review
- NFC Champion Seattle Seahawks Betting Season in Review
Must See Videos