Bookies win big ($64M big) following blown call at end of SD-Pitt game
Cold, Hard Football Facts for Nov 16, 2008
This story came to us from alert reader Rick Stoppe, through a press release sent to him and attributed to R.J. Bell of something called Pregame.com.
Apparently, bettors lost about $64 million thanks to an errant officials' decision at the end of the San Diego-Pittsburgh game.
The Chargers, trailing 11-10 on the last play of the game, attempted a number of laterals in the hopes of scoring a freak TD from deep within Pittsburgh territory. But Steelers DB Troy Polamalu pounced on the ball and raced into the end zone for an apparent TD as time expired.
However officials ruled an illegal forward pass against the Chargers and took the TD off the board. Game over.
After the game, officials said they made a mistake.
The mistake didn't change the outcome of the game. But it did change the outcome for millions of gamblers, according to Bell. The Steelers, 5-point favorites, won 11-10 instead of 17-10.
"An estimated 100 million dollars was wagered worldwide on the Pittsburgh/San Diego game. Approximately 66 percent of that money was on the Steelers; with only 34 percent on the Chargers," said Bell.
"If the touchdown was properly upheld, Steelers bettors would have won about 32 million dollars instead of losing big. This admittedly incorrect call resulted in a 64 million dollar swing in favor of the bookies."
From our partners
Forearm Shiver: the CHFF Blog
- Gridiron Godfather Roger Goodell Whacks Mike Tomlin With $100,000 Fine
- Tom Brady Aces Final Quarter Exam ... Every Season
- Seattle Reasserts Dominance Atop Quality Stats Power Rankings
- Predators: New England Patriots As Predictable As Ahnold
- Historic Beating: ‘Scumbag’ Detroit Lions Humiliate Green Bay Packers
- Nick Foles Still The King of the QB Mountain
- Russell Wilson Setting Records Like It's His Job
- Josh Gordon, Adrian Peterson and Alshon Jeffery: Week 13 Statistical Heroes
- NFL Week 14 Game Capsules
- Seahawks/49ers, Bengals/Colts & Panthers/Saints Highlight Week 14 Slate
Must See Videos