Cold, Hard Football Facts for Sep 24, 2008
A new cookbook arrived at the cardboard-box world headquarters the other day that we instantly knew we'd love.
It's called "Fat: An Appreciation of a Misunderstood Ingredient, With Recipes" (Ten Speed Press, 2008) by Jennifer McLagan.
Hey, we love fat! Hell, we ARE fat!
A lot of great recipes in this book, including one for bacon mayonnaise that jumped right out at us.
- 1 egg yolk
- ¾ t. Dijon mustard
- 1 t. freshly squeezed lime juice
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ½ c. liquid bacon fat
Combine egg yolk, mustard and lemon juice in the small bowl of a food process or in a blender. Season with salt and pepper. Have bacon fat in liquid form, but not hot. With the machine running, gradually add bacon fat until mixture starts to stiffen and emulsify, about 2 minutes. Once it starts to emulsify, you can add fat more quickly. If mayonnaise is too thick, blend in 1 tablespoon of boiling water to thin it. Adjust seasoning to taste. Serve with BLT sandwiches. Makes about 1 cup of mayonnaise.
From our partners
- Quality Stats Super Bowl Breakdown: Patriots vs Seahawks
- Super Bowl 49 Game Capsule: Patriots @ Seahawks
- Awesome: Must-see Super Bowl Hall of Shame Infographic
- Referee Bill Vinovich Gets The Nod For Super Bowl 49 -- Balls
- 2014 NFL Divisional Playoffs Most-Watched Evah!
- NFL VP of Officiating Dean Blandino Talks Dez Bryant No-Catch Ruling
- CHFF's Pat Imig Talks Stan Kroenke & The Rams on Sportsnet 590 Toronto
- NFL 2014 Playoff Seeds and Schedule
- Cold Hard Football Facts Quality Stats: Perfect 4-0 In Wild Card Weekend
- Vegas Win Totals For Each NFL Team