Cold, Hard Football Facts for Sep 24, 2008
A new cookbook arrived at the cardboard-box world headquarters the other day that we instantly knew we'd love.
It's called "Fat: An Appreciation of a Misunderstood Ingredient, With Recipes" (Ten Speed Press, 2008) by Jennifer McLagan.
Hey, we love fat! Hell, we ARE fat!
A lot of great recipes in this book, including one for bacon mayonnaise that jumped right out at us.
- 1 egg yolk
- ¾ t. Dijon mustard
- 1 t. freshly squeezed lime juice
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ½ c. liquid bacon fat
Combine egg yolk, mustard and lemon juice in the small bowl of a food process or in a blender. Season with salt and pepper. Have bacon fat in liquid form, but not hot. With the machine running, gradually add bacon fat until mixture starts to stiffen and emulsify, about 2 minutes. Once it starts to emulsify, you can add fat more quickly. If mayonnaise is too thick, blend in 1 tablespoon of boiling water to thin it. Adjust seasoning to taste. Serve with BLT sandwiches. Makes about 1 cup of mayonnaise.
From our partners
Forearm Shiver: the CHFF Blog
- Week 14 Scores And Stats
- Cincinnati Dismantles Indianapolis; AFC North Title In Sight
- Lions, Big Runs & Snow - Oh My! Chip's Eagles Overcome Early Woes
- Sad-Sack Houston Texans: The Dumbest Team In Football
- Gridiron Godfather Roger Goodell Whacks Mike Tomlin With $100,000 Fine
- Tom Brady Aces Final Quarter Exam ... Every Season
- Week 14 NFL Snapshots: Litmus Test Continues
- Russell Wilson Setting Records Like It's His Job
- NFL Week 14 Game Capsules
- Seahawks/49ers, Bengals/Colts & Panthers/Saints Highlight Week 14 Slate
Must See Videos