Cold, Hard Football Facts for Sep 24, 2008
A new cookbook arrived at the cardboard-box world headquarters the other day that we instantly knew we'd love.
It's called "Fat: An Appreciation of a Misunderstood Ingredient, With Recipes" (Ten Speed Press, 2008) by Jennifer McLagan.
Hey, we love fat! Hell, we ARE fat!
A lot of great recipes in this book, including one for bacon mayonnaise that jumped right out at us.
- 1 egg yolk
- ¾ t. Dijon mustard
- 1 t. freshly squeezed lime juice
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ½ c. liquid bacon fat
Combine egg yolk, mustard and lemon juice in the small bowl of a food process or in a blender. Season with salt and pepper. Have bacon fat in liquid form, but not hot. With the machine running, gradually add bacon fat until mixture starts to stiffen and emulsify, about 2 minutes. Once it starts to emulsify, you can add fat more quickly. If mayonnaise is too thick, blend in 1 tablespoon of boiling water to thin it. Adjust seasoning to taste. Serve with BLT sandwiches. Makes about 1 cup of mayonnaise.
From our partners
- NFL Week 16 Game Capsules
- Oh The Horror: Jaguars Titans TNF Preview
- Jeremy Hill & ODB Setting Rookie Records While Veterans Fitzgerald, Smith & Wayne Make History
- Comebacks, Touchdowns and Yards Galore: NFL 2014
- Saints at Bears And a Bizarre Playoff Race
- 4th Quarter Pole: Marshawn Lynch, Jamaal Charles December's Best Running Backs
- Patriots & Chargers Dominating December In Recent History
- Quality Stats Six Pack: Game-Changers Down the Stretch
- 2014 NFL Season Player Props
- Vegas Win Totals For Each NFL Team