Andy's Creole seasoning
Cold, Hard Football Facts for Jul 29, 2005
Andy Husbands runs a number of restaurants in Boston and is one of the nation's most exciting chefs. In his spare time, runs an award-winning barbecue team called iQUE with his buddy, Chris Hart. Year after year, they sweep barbecue competitions and are routinely named the top team at the Harpoon Brewery Championship of New England Barbecue.
Husbands was cool enough to share recipes with us before and several of them are on the site. When we called him looking for a top-notch creole seasoning, he pulled this from his book, "The Fearless Chef":
"The easiest way to give someone a taste of Bourbon Street flair, aside from hanging purple, gold, and green beads around their neck, is to serve them something made with this spice mix," he writes in the book, co-authored by Joe Yonan.
Husbands suggests using this in all kinds of southern dishes. "It's also great for grilling steak or fish, pickling okra, sautéing with corn in butter, and even thrown into a Bloody Mary."
Makes approximately 1/2 cup
- 2 tablespoons dry thyme
- 2 tablespoons dry basil
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon gumbo file powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 bay leaf, ground of finely chopped
Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and mix thoroughly. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dark place and the rub will stay fresh for up to 3 months.
From "The Fearless Chef" by Andy Husbands and Joe Yonan. Used by permission from Adams Media.
From our partners
Forearm Shiver: the CHFF Blog
- History Says Arizona, Cincinnati and Philadelphia Will Make Playoffs
- CHFF Flashback: Colin Kaepernick Has Worst QB Performance of 2013
- Andy Dalton Passes Aaron Rodgers In Record Books
- Quotes From Ravens Fans Who Support Ray Rice
- 2014 NFL Season Player Props
- Vegas Win Totals For Each NFL Team
- Best NFL Records Of The Past 10 Years
- Audio: The Cold Hard Football Facts Hosted By Pat Imig
- Cardinals And Chargers: Charting Their Courses After Week 1
- Groundhog Day: Seattle Dominates Green Bay
Must See Videos