Andy's Creole seasoning
Cold, Hard Football Facts for Jul 29, 2005
Andy Husbands runs a number of restaurants in Boston and is one of the nation's most exciting chefs. In his spare time, runs an award-winning barbecue team called iQUE with his buddy, Chris Hart. Year after year, they sweep barbecue competitions and are routinely named the top team at the Harpoon Brewery Championship of New England Barbecue.
Husbands was cool enough to share recipes with us before and several of them are on the site. When we called him looking for a top-notch creole seasoning, he pulled this from his book, "The Fearless Chef":
"The easiest way to give someone a taste of Bourbon Street flair, aside from hanging purple, gold, and green beads around their neck, is to serve them something made with this spice mix," he writes in the book, co-authored by Joe Yonan.
Husbands suggests using this in all kinds of southern dishes. "It's also great for grilling steak or fish, pickling okra, sautéing with corn in butter, and even thrown into a Bloody Mary."
Makes approximately 1/2 cup
- 2 tablespoons dry thyme
- 2 tablespoons dry basil
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon gumbo file powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 bay leaf, ground of finely chopped
Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and mix thoroughly. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dark place and the rub will stay fresh for up to 3 months.
From "The Fearless Chef" by Andy Husbands and Joe Yonan. Used by permission from Adams Media.
Forearm Shiver: the CHFF Blog
- Aaron Hernandez Quizzed In Death Probe: Tough Week To Be Patriots Tight End
- Former Bears WR David Terrell Says He'd Cut Off His Balls To Play W Jay Cutler
- Roger Goodell Defends Redskins Name In Letter To Congress
- Video: Pat Imig's FN NFL Update June 09
- Chuck Norris: 'Clutch' Tim Tebow An 'Athletic Warrior'
- NFL Today: The Golden Age Of The Ground Game
- Wes Welker Excited About "Freedom" In Denver
- The 5.0 Club: Best Rushing Teams in NFL History
- Sieves: The Worst Run Defenses In NFL History
- 2013 NFL Schedule: The Year Of The Denver Broncos
- Monsters of the Midway: We Need The Chicago Bears More Than Ever
- The 100 Stingiest Defenses In Football History
- NFL Crown Rule: Will It Dethrone Rushing King Adrian Peterson?
- Big Tease: 2012 New England Patriots And NFL's History Of Offensive Failures
- Real Quarterback Rating Differential: A New Mother Of All Stats?
Must See Videos