Cold, Hard Football Facts Archives
The NFL's Biggest Overachievers And Underachievers In 2012
The 2012 Indianapolis Colts were the NFL's biggest overachiever in nearly two decades, while the New England Patriots were the league's most underachieving team last year, writes Scott Kacsmar.
Denver Broncos Rookie Montee Ball Faces Stiff Statistical Headwinds
Rookie RB Montee Ball is drawing rave reviews in Denver and his fantasy stock is rising. John Elway compared him to no less a Denver legend than Terrell Davis. But Justin Henry says the young ball carrier faces strong statistical headwinds.
The Case for Tim Tebow, NFL Quarterback
Tim Tebow deserves as real shot to play quarterback in the NFL. He won't get that shot in New England. He shouldn't get that shot in New England. But the preponderance of Cold, Hard Football Facts prove he deserves a chance to lead an NFL offense.
Friendly NFL Climate, Great Quarterbacks Spark Rise in Passing Statistics
Are NFL quarterbacks better, healthier or controlling the rule book? Scott Kacsmar examines the passing explosion and finds one unique group of active QBs we should be enjoying while they last.
Tim Tebow To New England Patriots: What Could Go Possibly Wrong?
The New England Patriots pulled off yet another off-season shocker, signing cultural lightning rod QB Tim Tebow when some thought he'd never play in the NFL again. Here are four immediate reactions to the news.
NFL Stat Wars: YAC (Yards After Catch) Vs. YAT (Yards At Touch)
Andrew Luck and the Colts were the NFL's most inaccurate team last year but were league a leader in YAT (Yards At Touch). I.E., they threw the ball too far down field. We look at YAT and YAC (Yards After Catch) and find that the latter especially is badly overvalued by stat crunchers.
2012 NFL YAT (Yards At Touch) Leaderboard
Yards At Touch is YAC upside down: it tells us how far downfield receivers are when they first touch the football. The 7-9 Tampa Bay Buccaneers were No. 1 in YAT; the 10-6 NFC playoff contender Minnesota Vikings were No. 32 in YAT.
2012 NFL YAC Leaderboard: Panthers Tops; Bills The Worst
Here's a look at the NFL Yards After Catch (YAC) leaderboard in 2012. YAC is a fun, buzz-worthy stat. But at the end of the day, it has a very low Correlation to Victory. The 7-9 Carolina Panthers led the NFL in YAC in 2012; the top four included two of the worst offenses in football.
Deacon Jones Rests in His Own Class of NFL Sack Masters
Deacon Jones, the man who created the quarterback sack, has passed away at 74. Scott Kacsmar examines the NFL’s “official” sack leaders, who all owe respect to this pass-rushing pioneer.
- Aaron Hernandez Quizzed In Death Probe: Tough Week To Be Patriots Tight End
- Former Bears WR David Terrell Says He'd Cut Off His Balls To Play W Jay Cutler
- Roger Goodell Defends Redskins Name In Letter To Congress
- Video: Pat Imig's FN NFL Update June 09
- Chuck Norris: 'Clutch' Tim Tebow An 'Athletic Warrior'
- NFL Today: The Golden Age Of The Ground Game
- Wes Welker Excited About "Freedom" In Denver
- The 5.0 Club: Best Rushing Teams in NFL History
- Sieves: The Worst Run Defenses In NFL History
- 2013 NFL Schedule: The Year Of The Denver Broncos
- Monsters of the Midway: We Need The Chicago Bears More Than Ever
- The 100 Stingiest Defenses In Football History
- NFL Crown Rule: Will It Dethrone Rushing King Adrian Peterson?
- Big Tease: 2012 New England Patriots And NFL's History Of Offensive Failures
- Epic Fail: The Wide Receiver Draft Class Of 2012