Well Looky Here: Alabama Crimson Tide NCAA No. 1 in Passer Rating Differential
The Alabama Crimson Tide is the No. 1 team in major college football in Passer Rating Differential, the Mother of All Stats in the NFL.
We know from studies done by various college bloggers that our stats work at the college level, too. College teams, much like pro teams, generally win when they dominate the battle of passing efficiency.
The Tide is a 10-point favorite over Notre Dame. It certainly makes sense based upon PRD: the Irish are merely No. 29 in Passer Rating Differential.
Worth noting, however, that Notre Dame beat three teams in the PRD Top 20: Pittsburgh (No. 11), Oklahoma (No. 13) and USC (No. 17).
Alabama played three teams in the Top 30: they beat Georgia (No. 5) and LSU (No. 27), but lost to Texas A&M (No. 18). The Tide also padded its schedule against teams like Western Kentucky, Florida Atlantic and Western Carolina, a 1-10 FCS team.
The NCAA uses a different passer rating formula than the NFL, yielding higher numbers. We didn't really have the ability to quickly recalculate all the numbers using the NFL formula. Still, it paints an interesting picture.
|San Jose St.||170.26||118.98||51.28|
- FF Champs Radio: Today From 12-2 pm ET
- Saints Top NFL With 6 Quality Wins; 5 Losers With 0 Quality Wins
- Seahawks, Panthers Remain Atop Quality Stats Power Rankings Despite Losses
- Drew Brees: Fastest Player To 50,000 In History
- Cincinnati Dismantles Indianapolis; AFC North Title In Sight
- Lions, Big Runs & Snow - Oh My! Chip's Eagles Overcome Early Woes
- Sad-Sack Houston Texans: The Dumbest Team In Football
- San Francisco 19, Seattle 17: 49ers Serve Notice
- College Football Awards: Regular Season Finale Edition
- Brady on Gronk Injury: "No one feel sorry for us".