Well Looky Here: Alabama Crimson Tide NCAA No. 1 in Passer Rating Differential
The Alabama Crimson Tide is the No. 1 team in major college football in Passer Rating Differential, the Mother of All Stats in the NFL.
We know from studies done by various college bloggers that our stats work at the college level, too. College teams, much like pro teams, generally win when they dominate the battle of passing efficiency.
The Tide is a 10-point favorite over Notre Dame. It certainly makes sense based upon PRD: the Irish are merely No. 29 in Passer Rating Differential.
Worth noting, however, that Notre Dame beat three teams in the PRD Top 20: Pittsburgh (No. 11), Oklahoma (No. 13) and USC (No. 17).
Alabama played three teams in the Top 30: they beat Georgia (No. 5) and LSU (No. 27), but lost to Texas A&M (No. 18). The Tide also padded its schedule against teams like Western Kentucky, Florida Atlantic and Western Carolina, a 1-10 FCS team.
The NCAA uses a different passer rating formula than the NFL, yielding higher numbers. We didn't really have the ability to quickly recalculate all the numbers using the NFL formula. Still, it paints an interesting picture.
|San Jose St.||170.26||118.98||51.28|
- Quality Stats Super Bowl Breakdown: Patriots vs Seahawks
- Super Bowl XLIX Prop Bets: Full List
- Super Bowl 49 Game Capsule: Patriots @ Seahawks
- Awesome: Must-see Super Bowl Hall of Shame Infographic
- Referee Bill Vinovich Gets The Nod For Super Bowl 49 -- Balls
- 2014 NFL Divisional Playoffs Most-Watched Evah!
- CHFF's Pat Imig Talks Stan Kroenke & The Rams on Sportsnet 590 Toronto
- NFL 2014 Playoff Seeds and Schedule
- Cold Hard Football Facts Quality Stats: Perfect 4-0 In Wild Card Weekend
- Vegas Win Totals For Each NFL Team