Well Looky Here: Alabama Crimson Tide NCAA No. 1 in Passer Rating Differential
The Alabama Crimson Tide is the No. 1 team in major college football in Passer Rating Differential, the Mother of All Stats in the NFL.
We know from studies done by various college bloggers that our stats work at the college level, too. College teams, much like pro teams, generally win when they dominate the battle of passing efficiency.
The Tide is a 10-point favorite over Notre Dame. It certainly makes sense based upon PRD: the Irish are merely No. 29 in Passer Rating Differential.
Worth noting, however, that Notre Dame beat three teams in the PRD Top 20: Pittsburgh (No. 11), Oklahoma (No. 13) and USC (No. 17).
Alabama played three teams in the Top 30: they beat Georgia (No. 5) and LSU (No. 27), but lost to Texas A&M (No. 18). The Tide also padded its schedule against teams like Western Kentucky, Florida Atlantic and Western Carolina, a 1-10 FCS team.
The NCAA uses a different passer rating formula than the NFL, yielding higher numbers. We didn't really have the ability to quickly recalculate all the numbers using the NFL formula. Still, it paints an interesting picture.
|San Jose St.||170.26||118.98||51.28|
- Hockey Announcer Gone Wild: You Want To Party (Maybe) With This Guy
- Best Pass Defense Ever: Ronde Barber And The 2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Reese Witherspoon Arrest Video: Hot, Bothered And Handcuffed
- Sam Adams In A Can, Just In Time For Summer Drinking Season
- Live From Radio City: Reporter Punks NFL Draft Fans
- The 5.0 Club: Best Rushing Teams in NFL History
- Sieves: The Worst Run Defenses In NFL History
- Monsters of the Midway: We Need The Chicago Bears More Than Ever
- Boston, Sports, Patriotism And Terror
- The 100 Stingiest Defenses In Football History
- NFL Crown Rule: Will It Dethrone Rushing King Adrian Peterson?
- Year Of The Offensive Tackle: Not Always The 'Safe' Draft Bet
- Draft Habits: NFL Teams Covet LBs, Duped By False Temptress WRs
- Big Tease: 2012 New England Patriots And NFL's History Of Offensive Failures
- Epic Fail: The Wide Receiver Draft Class Of 2012