Video Highlights of The Amazing Johnny Football
Texas A&M produced this video of the "amazing" Johnny Manziel, or Johnny Football, as he's known. Hand 'em the Heisman, folks. Freshman or not, he won big Saturday night. Some ridiculous sh*t in there.
Manziel beat out Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o (second place) and Kansas State quarterback Collin Klein (third place) for the honor. Te'o, the leader of the nation's No. 1-ranked scoring defense and only undefeated (12-0) bowl-eligible FBS team, received more votes than any pure defensive player in the history of the award.
You probably know about all the records Manziel set this year for the Aggies, in their first year in the SEC. He produced an SEC-record 4,600 yards of offense (3,419 passing, 1,181 rushing), smashing the standard set in 2010 by Cam Newton (4,327) and, before that, by Tim Tebow (4,181) in 2007.
All three won the Heisman in their record setting years. Tebow, by the way, never ran for more than 1,000 yards at Florida.
Manziel also produced 43 touchdowns (24 passing, 19 rushing). More importantly, he had his proverbial "Heisman moment" on national TV, leading Texas A&M past defending national champion and 2012 title contender Alabama. It was the Crimson Tide's only loss.
My favorite Johnny Football stats are from his senior year in high school. He scored 77 friggin' touchdowns in one season: 40 passing, 35 rushing, 1 pick-six and 1 kick return. Unbelievable.
But I guess that's why he's Johnny Football ... and now a Heisman Trophy winner, too.
There's not truth to the rumor that I had an, ahem, "moment" when Manziel singled out Doug Flutie in his acceptance speech.
- Hockey Announcer Gone Wild: You Want To Party (Maybe) With This Guy
- Best Pass Defense Ever: Ronde Barber And The 2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Reese Witherspoon Arrest Video: Hot, Bothered And Handcuffed
- Sam Adams In A Can, Just In Time For Summer Drinking Season
- Live From Radio City: Reporter Punks NFL Draft Fans
- The 5.0 Club: Best Rushing Teams in NFL History
- Sieves: The Worst Run Defenses In NFL History
- Monsters of the Midway: We Need The Chicago Bears More Than Ever
- Boston, Sports, Patriotism And Terror
- The 100 Stingiest Defenses In Football History
- NFL Crown Rule: Will It Dethrone Rushing King Adrian Peterson?
- Year Of The Offensive Tackle: Not Always The 'Safe' Draft Bet
- Draft Habits: NFL Teams Covet LBs, Duped By False Temptress WRs
- Big Tease: 2012 New England Patriots And NFL's History Of Offensive Failures
- Epic Fail: The Wide Receiver Draft Class Of 2012