Video Highlights of The Amazing Johnny Football
Texas A&M produced this video of the "amazing" Johnny Manziel, or Johnny Football, as he's known. Hand 'em the Heisman, folks. Freshman or not, he won big Saturday night. Some ridiculous sh*t in there.
Manziel beat out Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o (second place) and Kansas State quarterback Collin Klein (third place) for the honor. Te'o, the leader of the nation's No. 1-ranked scoring defense and only undefeated (12-0) bowl-eligible FBS team, received more votes than any pure defensive player in the history of the award.
You probably know about all the records Manziel set this year for the Aggies, in their first year in the SEC. He produced an SEC-record 4,600 yards of offense (3,419 passing, 1,181 rushing), smashing the standard set in 2010 by Cam Newton (4,327) and, before that, by Tim Tebow (4,181) in 2007.
All three won the Heisman in their record setting years. Tebow, by the way, never ran for more than 1,000 yards at Florida.
Manziel also produced 43 touchdowns (24 passing, 19 rushing). More importantly, he had his proverbial "Heisman moment" on national TV, leading Texas A&M past defending national champion and 2012 title contender Alabama. It was the Crimson Tide's only loss.
My favorite Johnny Football stats are from his senior year in high school. He scored 77 friggin' touchdowns in one season: 40 passing, 35 rushing, 1 pick-six and 1 kick return. Unbelievable.
But I guess that's why he's Johnny Football ... and now a Heisman Trophy winner, too.
There's not truth to the rumor that I had an, ahem, "moment" when Manziel singled out Doug Flutie in his acceptance speech.
- NFL Week 16 Game Capsules
- Oh The Horror: Jaguars Titans TNF Preview
- Jeremy Hill & ODB Setting Rookie Records While Veterans Fitzgerald, Smith & Wayne Make History
- Comebacks, Touchdowns and Yards Galore: NFL 2014
- Saints at Bears And a Bizarre Playoff Race
- 4th Quarter Pole: Marshawn Lynch, Jamaal Charles December's Best Running Backs
- Patriots & Chargers Dominating December In Recent History
- Quality Stats Six Pack: Game-Changers Down the Stretch
- 2014 NFL Season Player Props
- Vegas Win Totals For Each NFL Team