Tony Romo 15th Member, Latest Loser In NFL 500-Yard Club
Tony Romo passed for 506 yards Sunday, in the Dallas Cowboys’ 51-48 loss to the Denver Broncos.
It was the 15th 500-yard passing performance in NFL history; the 13th passer to top 500 yards in regulation.
Those 15 teams have produced a surprisingly poor 8-7 record. The complete list, with game results, appears below.
The NFL is all about winning the battle of passing efficiency and has little to do with passing volume. In fact, passing for 500 yards is as much a sign of desperation as anything else, as the 8-7 record appears to confirm.
Of course, Romo and the Cowboys defied all kinds of convention against Denver: Dallas was both more efficient and more prolific in the passing game, yet still managed to lose.
More on that phenomenon shortly.
The NFL's 500 Club
Norm Van Brocklin, Los Angeles Rams (1951) – 554 (W vs. N.Y. Yanks 54-14)
Matt Schaub, Houston Texans (2012) – 527 (W vs. Jacksonville, 43-37)*
Warren Moon, Houston Oilers (1990) – 527 (W at Kansas City, 27-10)
Boomer Esiason, Arizona Cardinals (1996) – 522 (W at Washington 37-34)*
Dan Marino, Miami Dolphins (1988) – 521 (L vs. N.Y. Jets 30-44)
Matthew Stafford, Detroit Lions (2011) – 520 (L at Green Bay 41-45)
Tom Brady, New England Patriots (2011) – 517 (W at Miami 38-24)
Phil Simms, New York Giants (1985) – 513 (L at Cincinnati 30-35)
Eli Manning, New York Giants (2012) – 510 (W vs. Tampa Bay 41-34)
Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints (2006) – 510 (L vs. Cincinnati 16-31)
Vince Ferragamo, Los Angeles Rams (1982) – 509 (L at Chicago 26-34)
Tony Romo, Dallas Cowboys (2013) – 506 (L vs. Denver 51-48)
Y.A. Tittle, New York Giants (1962) – 505 (W vs. Washington 49-34)
Elvis Grbac, Kansas City Chiefs (2000) – 504 (L at Oakland 31-49)
Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers (2009) – 503 (W vs. Green Bay 37-36)
* Overtime game
- Super Bowl XLIX Favorites: NFC Likely To Be Super Again In 2014
- Super Bowl XLVIII Most Watched Program In U.S. History
- Super Bowl XLVIII Postgame Stat-Palooza
- CHFF Classic: Russell Wilson NFL's Best Young QB
- Super Bowl XLVIII: Broncos-Seahawks The Statistically Perfect Super Bowl
- Prop-A-Palooza II: Hundreds More Super Bowl XLVIII Prop Bets
- Live From Media Day: Could Seattle D Stop Russell Wilson
- Seattle Seahawks Brash Legion of Boom Proves Real Statistical Deal
- AFC Champion Denver Broncos Betting Season in Review
- NFC Champion Seattle Seahawks Betting Season in Review