Redskins burned by Shanahan freeze
The Rams 31-28 win over the Redskins had a lot of subplots trickling out into week three. Most notably, the replacement refs were atrocious and missed a clear Steven Jackson touchdown.
The 'Skins also had to deal with Joshua Morgan's stupid 15-yd penalty that knocked Washington out of reasonable field goal range late in the game.
Lost in the hoopla involving replacement refs and dumb penalties is the fact that Mike Shanahan gave the Rams three points in a game that was decided by ... three points.
Just before halftime, Shanahan attempted to ice rookie kicker Greg Zuerlein as he was set to boot a 42-yd field goal. Zuerlein's attempt as the whistles blew sailed wide-left.
After the timeout expired, Zuerlein tried again and successfully converted the three-pointer.
This is not the first time Shanahan and the Redskins were burned by his attempt to ice the kicker. Last season, Shanahan's tactics burned his team in a loss to the Dallas Cowboys.
This is one reason why people with permanently sun-burned faces shouldn't attempt to ice the kicker.
- Super Bowl XLIX Favorites: NFC Likely To Be Super Again In 2014
- Super Bowl XLVIII Most Watched Program In U.S. History
- Super Bowl XLVIII Postgame Stat-Palooza
- CHFF Classic: Russell Wilson NFL's Best Young QB
- Super Bowl XLVIII: Broncos-Seahawks The Statistically Perfect Super Bowl
- Prop-A-Palooza II: Hundreds More Super Bowl XLVIII Prop Bets
- Live From Media Day: Could Seattle D Stop Russell Wilson
- Seattle Seahawks Brash Legion of Boom Proves Real Statistical Deal
- AFC Champion Denver Broncos Betting Season in Review
- NFC Champion Seattle Seahawks Betting Season in Review