Redskins burned by Shanahan freeze
The Rams 31-28 win over the Redskins had a lot of subplots trickling out into week three. Most notably, the replacement refs were atrocious and missed a clear Steven Jackson touchdown.
The 'Skins also had to deal with Joshua Morgan's stupid 15-yd penalty that knocked Washington out of reasonable field goal range late in the game.
Lost in the hoopla involving replacement refs and dumb penalties is the fact that Mike Shanahan gave the Rams three points in a game that was decided by ... three points.
Just before halftime, Shanahan attempted to ice rookie kicker Greg Zuerlein as he was set to boot a 42-yd field goal. Zuerlein's attempt as the whistles blew sailed wide-left.
After the timeout expired, Zuerlein tried again and successfully converted the three-pointer.
This is not the first time Shanahan and the Redskins were burned by his attempt to ice the kicker. Last season, Shanahan's tactics burned his team in a loss to the Dallas Cowboys.
This is one reason why people with permanently sun-burned faces shouldn't attempt to ice the kicker.
- Play Fantasy Football in Seconds with Fantasy Spin Quick Pick
- Panthers Better Than Falcons in 17 of 22 Quality Stats
- Steelers-Seahawks tight statistical showdown
- Patriots, Panthers Have Each Faced Just 1 Quality Opponent
- New England Heads to Denver Dominant in Quality Stats Battle
- Cardinals, Patriots Top 2 in Mother of All Stats, Passer Rating Differential
- Super Bowl XLIX Prop Bets: Full List
- Super Bowl 49 Game Capsule: Patriots @ Seahawks
- Awesome: Must-see Super Bowl Hall of Shame Infographic
- Referee Bill Vinovich Gets The Nod For Super Bowl 49 -- Balls